Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

What happens after the "free for one year" offer to upgrade to Win 10?

Does anybody know what Microsoft will do to Win7 users who have not upgraded to 10 after the offer to upgrade free for one year expires? I'm still on 7 and don't plan to upgrade any time soon, but don't want to lose the ability to either.

Thanks.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CarolinasFan View Post
    Does anybody know what Microsoft will do to Win7 users who have not upgraded to 10 after the offer to upgrade free for one year expires? I'm still on 7 and don't plan to upgrade any time soon, but don't want to lose the ability to either.
    I would advise making a full drive image of your Windows 7 installation, do the upgrade to Windows 10, get the USB installation media built.

Run Windows 10 for a day or two to make sure you have a good upgrade, make another full drive image of Windows 10, then restore your Windows 7 drive image and continue to run Windows 7.

That will make your PC a licensed Windows 10 PC, and you can restore your Windows 10 to that PC whenever you wish, or not. But you'll have the free upgrade "in the bank", so to speak, for that PC.

As for what Microsoft will do, I don't think even Microsoft is sure at this point.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

3. The Following User Says Thank You to bbearren For This Useful Post:

holdum333 (2016-01-15)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    That is my take as well. Good instructions.

Will MS allow "restoring" the approved image to Win10 in the future. Obviously as it approaches 2020, there is less reason for MS not to force buying a new license.

Can MS even tell you have done this? No idea.

Truthfully most computers now that have Win7 on them will not be particularly good past the 2020 deadline for Win7 support: slow, underpowered, irritating. Not worth running Win10 upon in many cases. And win10 will be an obsolete OS at that point.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bbearren View Post
    But you'll have the free upgrade "in the bank", so to speak, for that PC.

As for what Microsoft will do, I don't think even Microsoft is sure at this point.
    Or so the theory goes ..
    Not a bad strategy, I will be doing that. But no one really knows how that will play out.
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Hi not sure I understand all that's been said here; but I'm pretty sure if you have a Macrium Reflect image, there's not much MS can do about keeping that from working.
    I have done exactly like bbearren suggested. I have used Macrium to rolled back and forth from W7 to W10. If MS can stop Macrium from doing that, I'm switching to Apple or Linux! That will be way to much interference!

Thanks
    The only problem with relying on an Windows 10 image is that you will have to go through a bunch of updates that occurred in the interim when you restore it. Don't know if it will work but a non destructive install with the current setup file created via the Media Creation Tool might be a better bet. Performing the initial Windows 10 upgrade should get you digital activation. You can always fall back on the Windows 10 image if it doesn't work.

Jerry

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Hi Jerry! Are you possibly talking about a install repair?? Have you tried it??
    http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1...e-upgrade.html

Thanks
    No, its an upgrade install. A repair install is an install over the same OS. An upgrade install is an install of a newer OS (Windows 10) over an older OS ( Windows 7 in this case).

Jerry

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    That will make your PC a licensed Windows 10 PC, and you can restore your Windows 10 to that PC whenever you wish, or not. But you'll have the free upgrade "in the bank", so to speak, for that PC.
    The main problem with this is that you end up losing any changes you many have made between the time you create the Win10 image and the time you decide to use it. So, any installed/updated programs will have to be reinstalled/updated. That may or may not be an issue, but at a minimum you have to restore your data files.

It may be best to get a Win7 backup then upgrade to win10 and live with it for a week or two. If it doesn't work out, you can revert to Win7 and remain there.
    Last edited by gsmith-plm; 2016-01-16 at 11:54.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to gsmith-plm For This Useful Post:

Fascist Nation (2016-01-16)

Banned Member
    Thanks
    That's why you make regular images and you make a image when you make major changes to your OS. If the image is only a month old, there shouldn't be that much to restore!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by holdum333 View Post
    That's why you make regular images and you make a image when you make major changes to your OS. If the image is only a month old, there shouldn't be that much to restore!
    Sorry, I don't follow. bbearren suggested upgrading to Win10 and creating an image, then reverting to Win7. The image could be used at a later time to switch to Win10. My point is that this Win10 image represents a point in time. There is no way to keep this up to date so any programs installed or changes to the registry, etc, on the Win7 after that would be lost if you later went back to the Win10 image.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gsmith-plm View Post
    Sorry, I don't follow. bbearren suggested upgrading to Win10 and creating an image, then reverting to Win7. The image could be used at a later time to switch to Win10. My point is that this Win10 image represents a point in time. There is no way to keep this up to date so any programs installed or changes to the registry, etc, on the Win7 after that would be lost if you later went back to the Win10 image.
    You are right, about that. However, doing that image would ensure you would have a valid Windows 10 license. If you restored the image, you would have to update Windows, install new programs and update your data.

The question is, would this be worth it, to save the cost a new Windows 10 license? That's a question for each of us to answer, I suppose.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    This is true but it wouldn't be any worse, actually a lot better as you wouldn't have to hunt up installation media for your current programs, than doing a "Clean Install" and you have preserved your Win-10 upgrade rights. Although not a perfect plan it's better than the alternative, e.g. having to pay for Win 10!

HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Hi gsmith! I agree with you! If you upgrade to W10 and create a image and then roll back to W7 and then use the W10 image to roll back up later, there may be a lot missing. I think bbearren was suggesting how to preserve your W10 free up grade. Here's his quote! I understand what your saying also!
    "That will make your PC a licensed Windows 10 PC, and you can restore your Windows 10 to that PC whenever you wish, or not. But you'll have the free upgrade "in the bank", so to speak, for that PC."
    Oops RG looks like we were thinking alike!
    Last edited by holdum333; 2016-01-16 at 13:30.

Thanks
    The main problem with this is that you end up losing any changes you many have made between the time you create the Win10 image and the time you decide to use it. So, any installed/updated programs will have to be reinstalled/updated. That may or may not be an issue, but at a minimum you have to restore your data files.
    In the case of substantial changes in the Windows 7 installation over time, an upgrade install using the Windows 10 USB installation media can keep those changes, and the initial upgrade as I described will have the machine registered with Microsoft as a licensed Windows 10 PC, so activation should not be an issue, and the free upgrade is retained.
    Last edited by bbearren; 2016-01-16 at 13:53.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast