Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Unhappy Random, graceful, unwanted shutdown of Windows7

Hello all,

Looking for some assistance with a new problem. I'm running Win7 Home Premium 64-bit on an HP Pavilion p6310f with an AMD Athlon II X4 630 2.8GHz CPU and 6GB RAM. It's got a few years on it but has worked flawlessly. I keep it patched with the help of Susan Bradley . Out of nowhere, it has started to randomly shut itself down, a graceful exit as if I had clicked "Shut Down". The attached shows what I found in the Event Viewer. It's an Event 1074, USER32, "The process C:\Windows\sysem32\winlogon.exe (PC name) has initiated the power off of computer NAME on behalf of user NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM for the following reason: No title for this reason cold be found, Reason code 0x500ff". I've been all over the Internet but have yet to find anything helpful. Are there any other diagnostics I can run to capture additional info? Any guidance would be appreciated. TIA!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Have you run malware scans?
    Have you made any hardware or software additions or changes recently?
    Have you checked your power supply?
    If you can pinpoint a date, have you tried a System Restore to a time before the problem started?

Joe

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Were there any suggestions from MS when you click on the blue online help link ?

Thanks
    Are there any other Windows devices on the same network? If so, are any other people on your network members of the local administrators group (or know the password to the built-in Administrator account on your PC)?

The reason I ask is because the Event ID suggests it's caused by an application or you. If it's not you shutting it down then it's possible it's an application on your (or another) network-connected PC or a user on a local network-connected PC. I'm not saying it IS, just that it IS do-able (surprisingly easily with the right credentials... hence my original questions).

Hope this helps...
    Last edited by Rick Corbett; 2016-01-15 at 16:54.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Hi Might as well add my 2 cents for what it's worth!
    You say it's a little old!
    When is the last time you cleaned the dust and cat hairs out of your tower?
    PS You will get only the best advise here on Windowssecrets. Lots of smart people here! They know their stuff!
    Joe asked can you pin point a date! I have found the Reliability Monitor can be a big help for that. Probably get yelled at.
    http://www.howtogeek.com/166911/reli...u-arent-using/
    Last edited by holdum333; 2016-01-15 at 16:21.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to holdum333 For This Useful Post:

jwcougar (2016-01-16)

Thanks
    Along with what Holdum333 said, download and install a copy of Speedfan. Speedfan will tell you if anything in your computer is overheating. Overheating can cause random shutdowns.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mrjimphelps For This Useful Post:

holdum333 (2016-01-15),jwcougar (2016-01-16)

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    Along with what Holdum333 said, download and install a copy of Speedfan. Speedfan will tell you if anything in your computer is overheating. Overheating can cause random shutdowns.
    Hi mrjimphelps. I use to use speedfan, but lately it hasn't read my temps right. I prefer HWMonitor, but either one should tell the OP some thing to look for!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to holdum333 For This Useful Post:

jwcougar (2016-01-16)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    If it was a shutdown due to overheating, then the error code would be different - it's usually Event ID 41 for an improper shutdown, but if the shutdown was to protect the system, then I think it would have recorded that - although I've never had one of those to see just what the error code would be.

Don't suppose there's anything in Task Scheduler that is causing the shutdown ?

You may find something in Windows\System32\LogFiles to see if there's anything related to the shutdown date.

EDIT - From a Google it looks like MS don't even know the cause.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2001061

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

Fascist Nation (2016-01-17)

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Hi At the risk of getting hollered at. Some times the Reliability Monitor can give you clues. Not sure if this will be recorded, but usually it records every thing that the event viewer records. Won't hurt to give it a look.
    How to Geek likes this tool, but few geeks ever mention or recommend it. I really don't know why??
    Last edited by holdum333; 2016-01-16 at 10:22.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Why would we holler at you? Are we that bad?

cheers, Paul

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    Why would we holler at you? Are we that bad?

cheers, Paul
    No sir! You guys are great and I'm proud to be a part of this team. I'm a little punchy. I have had some bad experiences on other help forums. Some times my fault and some times maybe not??
    I have actually been banned for pushing the Reliability Monitor and I think it's a great tool and can help. Not 100% but it might lead you in the right direction! I use it regularly. To me it's easier to interpenetrate then the event viewer.

Cheers, Gary!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by holdum333 View Post
    I have actually been banned for pushing the Reliability Monitor and I think it's a great tool and can help.
    Once per thread should be enough though. Why #5 and #9?

17. The Following User Says Thank You to BruceR For This Useful Post:

satrow (2016-01-16)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Update: Thanks to all who have responded! I run Malwarebytes and McAfee anti-virus and scan daily, so I'm reasonably certain I'm malware/virus free. I have a good restore point, the day before things started happening, but System Restore keeps failing:
    IMG_0988.JPG
    I've tried disabling McAfee & Malwarebytes for the restore, but still no luck. Tower case is on desk and I dust/vac its innards yearly, so it's looking clean in there. Also all fans appear to be working. Sometimes it shuts down as soon as I boot it up, other times after a few hours, so I'm not sure it's temp, but I'll check that out. Will also poke around the Reliability Monitor, thanks for the suggestions. As Sudo15 says, MS acknowledges the problem, but has no fix.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Hi I'm starting to think like Joe. Have you checked the power supply. HWMonitor will give you temps and voltages.
    Someone here can help you read HWMonitor. It's freeware!
    http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

Thanks
    It's laughably simple to cause a remote PC to shutdown gracefully with no warning or explanation, hence my questions in post #4.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast