5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Controlling updates in Windows 10 Pro

I've changed the settings on my Win10Pro computer so that it no longer automatically downloads and updates. Instead, it just notifies me that updates are available. That's OK as far as it goes, but the option in prior versions to just leave me alone and let me go look for updates when I want is no longer an option.

Instead, Win10 now bugs me on a recurring basis that there are updates. And it's not nice about it - it pops up a box in the middle of the screen and won't go away until I click it and let it open the Update dialog box, which I then have to close before I can get back to what I was doing. This is starting to get on my nerves.

I've tried searching here and on the net but I just keep getting stuff about stopping the Win10 upgrade stuff on Win7 & 8. It's possible this has been asked and answered, but I'm not seeing it. Are there any options? Can I at least limit it to nagging just once a day or something?

It's not that I'm not going to run the patch, I just prefer to do it when I want to - after I've done some cleanup and backed up my computer.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    You could disable the Windows Update service and only enable it when you want. Be aware that if you use Windows Defender it will not get signature updates with WU disabled. Don't know of other unintended consequences that may pop up.

Joe

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Hi I'm probably out of my league here. I understand not liking the nag about the upgrade, but being notified that there are up dates available, when you have that turned on, seems to me its doing what it's told to do.
    Can you not disable WUS like Joe suggests? I hear all these horror stories that WU bricked my PC. I don't doubt that has happened. Fortunately I have never had that happen to me. I also understand wanting to have control. Maybe MS will hear every ones gripes and return that feature soon. We can always hope. I'm fully backed up with MR, so I have no worries unless my hardware goes south and even then I might be able to recover.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    You could disable the Windows Update service and only enable it when you want. Be aware that if you use Windows Defender it will not get signature updates with WU disabled. Don't know of other unintended consequences that may pop up.

Joe
    As Joe said, you won't get automatic signature updates with Windows Update disabled but you can manually update.
    Click on Start and type Defender
    Click on Windows Defender
    Click on the Update tab
    Click on the Update Definitions button

Jerry

5. The Following User Says Thank You to jwitalka For This Useful Post:

holdum333 (2016-01-15)

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Thanks Jerry!
    Capture48.JPG

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by holdum333 View Post
    ...seems to me its doing what it's told to do.
    Only because the only other setting is to let it go ahead and download and update. Having an icon in the system tray that lets me know that updates are available would be OK. But to pop up something that forces me to actually open then close the Update dialog is pretty rude.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    Well, I don't use Defender so that's not a problem. Disabling the service seems a bit drastic, but if that's the only solution, I might have to take it. I should be able to write a quick script to turn it off and on.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Thanks
    Windows Update Mini Tool gives you back full control of updates.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/deta..._minitool.html

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Calimanco For This Useful Post:

holdum333 (2016-01-16),wavy (2016-01-17)