New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 10 Cumulative Updates repeatedly fail

Starting back in late December, Cumulative update KB3124200 tried to install on my PC. According the the Windows Update History, each night the update would try to install and fail. I've looked on line and read everything out there and tried every suggestion to no avail. Windows Update does appear to be working because other updated do successfully install. I though maybe when the next cumulative update was released, it might work. Starting on 1/13/16, Cumulative update KB3124263 shows up and it too fails.

I've tried:
    -Downloaded and manually installing the updates
    -Full reset of Windows Update
    -Ran the Windows Update troubleshooter. - Result is "Service Registration is missing or corrupt"
    -Ran sfc /scannow
    and several other things I can't remember any more.

Any one have any ideas? Is this going to require a fresh install of Windows 10?

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Hi scottr! I haven't tried this yet. I haven't had a reason to. I'm sure other members here will have some more suggestions to try. Before trying a fresh install have a look at this tutorial by Shawn Brink.
    Shawn has been around for ever and I trust him. I personally would create a back up image with Macrium Reflect or another 3rd party image program and then give the Repair Install in place a shot!
    http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1...e-upgrade.html

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    Did you run the reset of WU before or after the troubleshooter?

Did the troubleshooter says it could not fix the issue?

I'd try a Windows 10 recovery reset preserving your files before a fresh install.

Joe

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Just trying to learn Joe! Why not a repair install. That should save all the OP's programs?? It says WU may be lost but I'm thinking you can down load them with this option also?? Give it a look and see what you think!!
    Just asking!

You could also do a repair install of Windows 10 by performing an in-place upgrade without losing anything other than all installed Windows Updates.
    Last edited by holdum333; 2016-01-15 at 20:40.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by holdum333 View Post
    Just trying to learn Joe! Why not a repair install. That should save all the OP's programs?? It says WU may be lost but I'm thinking you can down load them with this option also?? Give it a look and see what you think!!
    Just asking!

You could also do a repair install of Windows 10 by performing an in-place upgrade without losing anything other than all installed Windows Updates.
    It is faster and easier to do a reset. You don't need to use the MCT.

Joe

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Hi Joe! I know what a W10 reset is! Please read this!
    If you're having problems with Windows 10 on your PC, you could use push-button reset to refresh or reset Windows.

Refresh your PC Fixes software problems by reinstalling the OS while preserving the user data, user accounts, and important settings. All other preinstalled customizations are restored to their factory state. In Windows 10, this feature no longer preserves user-acquired Windows apps.

Reset your PC prepares the PC for recycling or for transfer of ownership by reinstalling the OS, removing all user accounts and contents (e.g. data, Classic Windows applications, and Universal Windows apps), and restoring preinstalled customizations to their factory state.

The options above are great for what they are intended for, but you could also do a repair install of Windows 10 by performing an in-place upgrade without losing anything other than all installed Windows Updates.

This tutorial will show you how to do a repair install of Windows 10 by performing an in-place upgrade without losing anything.

You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to do a repair install of Windows 10.
    http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1...e-upgrade.html

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the advice. I finally had time this morning to try the Windows Refresh. Three hours later my PC is now up to date. Time will tell if next months cumulative updated will install correctly.