Thanks

Screen goes black when plugged into power.

I have helped out a friend twice now when her laptop breaks down and becomes unresponsive. Its a 64 bit HP and running Win 10. Both times I have got it going with a backup I have made for her on my external hard drive. She reckons that the shop should repair it because it is faulty but I'm sure that it is something her 9 year old daughter is doing. Well any way I thought I would use it before giving it back and one thing I have noticed is if its fully charged and I plug it in to power it goes black and wont work. I'm testing a new back up I have made and wanted to leave it running hence the reason for plugging it in when fully charged. After 33% of the restore I switched the power back on and its fine. Whats going on there???
    One other thing is when they brought it to me a few days ago it was totally stuffed and "SFC/Scannow would'nt complete .Dism scan wouldn'd complete and when I ran a Refresh (with out removing files) it wiped every app except 2. I had to left click for a click and it was even more broken then before. But after a back up restore its sweet except this full power business. Anyway my question "could the warning message," "Windows Can't Connect To Group Policy Client" be the cause of the problems listed above..(not the power problem after the back up). And could a 9 Year old do some thing to get that warning message.
    Thanks Pete

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Hi Pete! Is there any way you can test with a different power adapter? You can read about the warning here.
    It looks like your a good friend to have around. Nothing better then a back up image to fall back to!
    https://social.technet.microsoft.com...w7itprogeneral

3. The Following User Says Thank You to holdum333 For This Useful Post:

KIWIpeteW (2016-01-17)

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    That does sound like faulty hardware. Just work out how to replicate the power issue, then send it back for repair.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Thanks for the input guys,I'll head into the shop to see what they have to see. My friend dosn't speak Kiwi/English like I do (her first language is Chinese) so it's best I help out. Still think the young one is doing something to upset the system but the power thing is strange.
    H333, I had a good look at the link you posted. Cheers for that.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If it is something the daughter is doing then set up a account for her with guest privileges.

Any chance the power cord is loose in the back of the laptop (most common laptop break)? Wiggle it and see if you can trigger the event.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Fascist Nation For This Useful Post:

KIWIpeteW (2016-01-17)

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by KIWIpeteW View Post
    it was totally stuffed and "SFC/Scannow would'nt complete .Dism scan wouldn'd complete and when I ran a Refresh (with out removing files) it wiped every app except 2
    I couldn't trash a machine like that on purpose, I doubt a 9 year old has managed to do it accidentally / on purpose. My vote is for a hardware issue.

cheers, Paul

p.s. Kiwi is very close to English, just don't open your mouth too much and say "Ay" at the end of sentences.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

KIWIpeteW (2016-01-17)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Scrolling down to why v3.6.5 of the Windows Repair program was released may answer why the Refresh trashed the apps.

http://www.tweaking.com/

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

KIWIpeteW (2016-01-17)

Thanks
    Thanks for the help. Its back with the shop for the mean time. Sudo15 you are spot on with the v3.6.5 in Tweaking.com. Good to know that info. And yes the idea of a guest account for the young one is a good idea. Hey "Cuz" Paul.T if I have to drop my "Ay" off the end of my sentence that would really "Suc,Ay"(Mum and Dad spoke real English having come from UK)