Banned Member
    Thanks

Windows repair options!

Hi I'm a fairly new W10 user and I'm learning new things all the time. I'm sure you old geeks have a lot of this all figured out.
    This is for those that don't. You that do, can add your tricks to this thread.

I'm sure you all have figured out that W10 does not have a recovery partition. The big dogs at MS think they have provided you with all the options you will need to get your PC up and running again. That may be true, but can you get to those options?

They kept the restore to a earlier time. Not real thrilled with that, but some times it works. They have a feature to create a image of your OS. It's OK, but I prefer Macrium Reflect for creating Images. They have a Refresh/Reset. I guess it works, but I haven't tried it yet. You are given the option to create rescue media that can be used to boot into the repair mode if you can't get you PC to boot into windows. You really need to create one of those.

Some of you smart people will discover that W10 removed the F8 option that allows you to inter into the safe mode. I have a link for that and will attach it later. MS allows you to create a Media Creation tool and that can be a life savor for those that never learn to create back up images of their OS. The MCT can be used to do a repair restore, which is supposed to restore W10 and all your programs. I will attach a link for that. There are a bunch of options that can get you back up and running in W10, but the best option you will ever have is a back up image of your OsS created by a 3rd party program. Here are some links that I have found that will help your W10 experience be a little better.

All you Geeks please add to this thread and comment on my attempt to help members with W10. I'm sure I don't have it all covered and will be adding to this thread if the staff doesn't kick me off the forum. LOL

There may come a time you need to boot into safe mode. The attached link will restore the option that MS took away. You can also put the option back to default with that link!

PS The upgrade should have left your back to factory partition in place and you might want to use that some day if things get really tough. I hope you didn't delete it. If your a smart user, you will learn how to create back up images with a 3rd party program and you won't need any of the above advise. I hope this helps someone and I'm sure the old dogs here can make this thread a lot better. I do try hard to make a difference here. Some times I win, some times I lose.

Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade - Windows 10 Forums

Advanced Startup Options - Boot to in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

In place Upgrade

http://www.windows10forums.com/artic...e-boot-menu.8/

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...recovery-drive
    Last edited by satrow; 2016-01-16 at 04:37. Reason: wall of text

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to holdum333 For This Useful Post:

allheart55 (2016-02-23),KIWIpeteW (2016-01-16)

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Hi satrow! Thanks for fixing my thread. That does look a lot better.