Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Can't access image file created by Win 8.1 or Win 10

I followed the directions in the “Create a System Image” on two PCs but could not access either. I used to use Acronis True Image on a Win 7 and it restored images from external drives just fine.

On a Win 8.1 (64-bit) I created a system image file and stored it on a network drive Then could not find any way to access it. So I made another image on external USB drive and also could not restore from it. The image has to be on another drive so why can't Windows access other drives?

Similar problems on a Win 10 (32-bit) system with a SSD system disk (love this little pc) First, I created a Windows "Recovery Disk" on a 16gb USB drive. Then created a system image file on an SD card D: (several tries before it completed without a cryptic error msg). Then I had to boot into the BIOS to edit the boot list so "USD HDD" is listed first and then booted from the Recovery Disk. I tried to 'restore an image' but could not access the SD card -- or the network drive.

Online instructions must be missing some important information about storing the image file. Or maybe I should just buy software that works.
    Last edited by patdrummond; 2016-01-16 at 16:16. Reason: Colon was turned into a smiley!

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Hi pat!If your using the W10 feature to create a image, this link explains it very well. I assume that's what your doing as I see no mention of a 3rd party image program. My suggestion is to use Acronis to create a image as you say you're experienced with it. getting to the image created by W10 is a lot different.
    http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5...dows-10-a.html

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Hi pat! If you want to use the image you created with the W10 feature, You will have to go to advanced start up. You could also use the disc you created!
    Here's screen shot.
    Capture48.JPG
    Last edited by holdum333; 2016-01-16 at 16:51.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by patdrummond View Post
    Or maybe I should just buy software that works.
    http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...l=1#post864338

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Thanks all for trying to help. I tried free Macrium Reflect 6.1 and again no problem creating the rescue USB boot drive or image file on my network drive. But running the boot disk (WinPE & Reflect) can only see the C drive. Macrium forums are closed to "free" users - really. Their knowledge base that says I can't use Wi-Fi to access the network. Laptop no longer have standard ethernet ports.

But it also cannot see my SD card (D drive). What's the purpose of backup software that can't restore from other drives? (rhetorical question)

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Hi Pat! Not sure what you're asking. I have a 1TB Seafate USB. That's where I keep all my images. I use Macrium Reflect free. I also use the Windows feature. I have no trouble restoring my images. This is what the file system looks like on a windows image. Very different from Macrium. Using Macrium and using the Windows feature is a whole different ball game. Not sure what your problems are with Macrium? You say it can't see your (D drive)???
    I'm sure that @Paul or myself can help you with backing up and restoring your images, if you explain what problems your having. Lets just discuss one way at a time!
    Capture48.JPG

Thanks
    I can access my network drive fine from Windows 10, just not from WinPE (on the rescue drive). Macrium knowledge base clearly states that WinPE does not support Wi-Fi so NAS drive is not an option. Makes you wonder why they allow you to store it there without a warning...
    The D drive is an SD card so maybe WinPE needs a driver to see it? The newsletter made using an external USB drive sound like trial & error even with 2 ports. I only have 1 but will try anyway. Even Acronis was easy after I got it working.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Hi Pat I'm trying hard to keep up with you. Are you saying you can access the drive, just not when with the MR rescue disc. Where are you storing your images? Ate you storing them on a network, then trying to use the MR rescue disc to restore the image? I don't think that's going to work. I don't know about the SD card. My advise is if you're going to store OS images, get a good External USB. They are very cheap and when you need that image the few dollars you spent will be well worth the price of the external drive.
    PS I like Paul's reply! How valuable is the image to you??

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by patdrummond View Post
    I can access my network drive fine from Windows 10, just not from WinPE (on the rescue drive). Macrium knowledge base clearly states that WinPE does not support Wi-Fi so NAS drive is not an option. Makes you wonder why they allow you to store it there without a warning...
    The D drive is an SD card so maybe WinPE needs a driver to see it? The newsletter made using an external USB drive sound like trial & error even with 2 ports. I only have 1 but will try anyway. Even Acronis was easy after I got it working.
    I also recommend making the Linux rescue disk as well, it may make all the difference.
    Macrium Reflect USB Rescue Options
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    I had a similar problem but it was with Ethernet not wifi (which isn't a particularly fast way of backing up anyway). How I got MR to see the NAS drive was as follows:
    Run WinPE
    Click on the get images link
    Enter the name of the NAS drive. Mine was \\goflex_home\goflex_home_backup\computer name
    Enter the username and password you used when you set up the NAS drive
    You should then see the images.

It took me a while to find out how to do this, with many false starts.

I think this did work on wifi as it was a time when I used wifi with my desktop, but it was a while ago.

Good luck

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    WinPE doesn't have information about your logins which you need for WiFi and NAS access. If your NAS has USB access you could use that, otherwise it may be best to beg/buy/borrow/steal an external USB disk and copy the most recent image backup onto it.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    To summarize I gave up on Win 10 backup image - it created the image file on my network drive (Wi-Fi) after several tries involving cryptic error messages. But the restore could not access the NAS drive or the SD card.

I saw a mention of command line "wdadmin" in another forum, and "wdadmin GET VERSIONS" found the image file on my Western Digital network drive (Can recover: Volume(s), File(s), Application(s), Bare Metal Recovery, System State) and also found a second image on "removable media" on my computer which would be the SDcard (Can recover: Volume(s), Bare Metal Recovery). I can run, change or delete a backup, but it doesn't offer any option to recovery from an image!

Moving on - Macrium Reflect Free can't access my NAS or my SD card, but it seems very stable creating and verifying image files to an external USB drive. Not as convenient as attached storage, but at least it works - maybe the paid version can access a NAS, but I'm getting tired of testing software that doesn't document exactly what it can use for storage.

For worst case restoration of Windows 10 all methods require a bootable "rescue" drive. First I edited the computer BIOS boot order to move "USB HDD" above the hard drive. Macrium website provide instructions to format the USB stick (FAT32 format with MBR master boot record) and create the rescue disk (2 methods) I chose the method that puts WindowsPE and Macrium Reflect on a USB stick (only uses 187mb). After I boot from it, and Macrium has started, I removed the USB stick and plugged in the USB drive with the image file on it. I used MR to locate and restore the image file. I also tried "explore and mount the image" to access individual files in the backup image. RUnning MR from the USB sitck can create an image file -- from outside Windows, which is nice. If I had a larger USB stick I probably could have stored the image on this stick instead of the external USB drive.

Next try is create the Linux rescue stick to see it that can do better. Acronis True Image is huge - you think about size with a 32GB system drive.

I'd prefer a backup program that just creates and restores system image files to/from my network drive. If anyone knows of one, please shout!

Thanks
    I'm not too terribly enthusiastic about using networked drives to restore my backup to begin with, sure they are fine for the actual storage,
    but I would prefer a faster [more secure] internal SATA connection, or at least a USB 3 external connection for the restore process.
    A dedicated external drive for the sole purpose of image storage and backup is probably one of the more stable and secure means of going about it.

I'd look into Post #10 too if you hadn't already.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2016-01-21 at 15:21.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by access-mdb View Post
    Run WinPE
    Click on the get images link
    Enter the name of the NAS drive. Mine was \\goflex_home\goflex_home_backup\computer name
    Enter the username and password you used when you set up the NAS drive
    You should then see the images.
    It took me a while to find out how to do this, with many false starts.
    I think this did work on wifi as it was a time when I used wifi with my desktop, but it was a while ago.
    Good luck
    The Macrium site states that WinPE does not support WiFi so you may have been using an ethernet cable. I have one USB, my only input port.

Thanks
    I guess I got lazy creating images with Acronis TI to my network drive. Then I copied the latest to a USB stick - never leave home without it. Although it requires me to carry laptops to the other end of the house to plug in a drive, I'm willing to do that rather than install the latest Acronis beast. I like the MRF small size. Does the MR paid version provide anything I might find useful?

I read the 2012 posts about creating a rescue disk using Linux instead of WinPE and some sort of multi-iso system. But there's no Linux option in the latest Macrium Reflect Free 6.1 for Win10.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast