New Lounger
    Thanks

Win 10 p2p network

This computer quit showing up in the network listing. It can be accessed by other 2 on the network just fine. This Win 10 Pro takes about 2 minutes to access my Win 7 Pro desktop every time. All 3 computers have same user and password. setting in network sharing are very similar.
    Update: after upgrading 2nd Win 7 to Win 10, the second unit will recognize both the Win 7 laptop and the first Wo 10 Desktop. The first win 10 desktop recognizes the other win 19 desktop, but will not let me access it for about 1.5 to 2 minutes. It will immediately access the Win 7 laptop.
    All settings on the 2 Win 10 Pro units are exactly the same, Windows services are the same, and the Win 7 laptop is the same except for the laptop being older differences.
    A private network 3 units all same user, all same password and as close to identical as is possible with some added software being the only difference now.
    Toshiba A-505 laptop Win 7 Pro: MSI SYX-1113 Desktop, now Win 10 Pro, MSI SYX-1142 desktop, now Win 10 Pro. Similar specs not exactly identical but close enough to use mostly same manufacturer drivers.
    This isn't a huge problem, but it bugs me!!
    Last edited by winkus; 2016-01-23 at 18:01. Reason: Changes in operating system on 2nd Desktop.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    What is the network type (i.e. public or private)?

Joe

Thanks
    It can be accessed by other 2 on the network just fine. This Win 10 Pro takes about 2 minutes to access my Win 7 Pro desktop every time. All 3 computers have same user and password
    Does this mean that the win 10 pro computer does access the win 7 pro computer but it's just slow showing up in the list?
    The reason I ask is that mine is the same way, as in it takes a little longer for the win 10 pro to show the other win 7 computers in the network but it does show them.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, every time I go to the network icon and click on a win 7 unit it takes almost 2 minutes of hunting for it. It shows up but says can't access it for about 2 minutes every time I try it. Other win 10 units are accessed immediately. This immediate access after a machine boots up is the way all 3 win 7 units used to work. This must be some more of MS bs to get all to upgrade to Win 10. My laptop says it is not compatible with 10 so I will have to keep it on 7 until??

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Private network. I upgraded another computer to 10 pro today and it shows the same thing. Win 10 immediate recognize and access, the 1 Win7 slow to access although it is recognized immediately also. Take almost 2 minutes for the network to access it. All 3 machines set up as close to identical as is possible and worked for over 2 years flawlessly on 7.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    after 3 restarts all show up but Win 7 unit is slow to access from Win 10 units. looks like just a snafu of some kind that I'll have to live with.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Unhappy Win 10 p2p network followup

Now I have 2 Win 10 Computers, same make MSI 1 is 1 year newer with a faster Intel I7 processor, Other than that they are identical. Also a Toshiba A-505 laptop with Win 7 pro not compatible with Win 10 per MS and Toshiba. When I try to access the network, both Win 10 pro units hesitate about 1.5 to 2 minutes to access the other Win 10 unit but they both will access the Win 7 laptop immediately. Win 7 laptop will access either one of the 10 units immediately also.
    It seems like the 10 units forget which computers are in the Private network and have to hunt for them each time I access the network. They always discover each other but long delay to do it seems odd. I have researched the windows services on each machine and tried various settings on anything related to the network and the behavior seems the same no matter what.
    All 3 are set up with same user and password, all files and print sharing on private network is on, all permissions are granted to anyone on the private network. This behavior seems odd and as I use whichever computer I am on to download from the internet and then copy it to the others, instead of downloading 3 different times it is much more trouble than when all 3 were Win 7 Pro. Makes no sense to me.

Thanks
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.