Thread: Jump List Issue

New Lounger
    Thanks

Question Jump List Issue

I updated to Windows 10 awhile back and it works mostly fine.

Only issue is that the "taskbar and start menu properties" (when you right click the taskbar and choose properties) doesn't have the "start menu" tab. This seems to be a bug in my computer as other Windows 10 machines that I have seen have it. There seems to also be a bug in the pinned/recent jump lists when I right click an icon on the task bar which I assume is related to this bug. Basically, it shows all of my pinned things but nothing under recent. And the font and spacing of the jump lists seems much bigger than other Windows 10 machines I have seen.

I assume that this was caused by the fact that I had uninstalled KB3072318 back when I first got the computer with Windows 8 to fix a similar bug as described here:
    http://superuser.com/questions/94769...ist-visual-bug

It seems that the Windows Update which I uninstalled was some sort of helper for a Windows 10 upgrade and I didn't re-install it before I upgraded from 8 to 10. I guess the obvious fix would be to roll back to Windows 8, install that windows update, and then redo the Windows 10 upgrade. Though I would really rather not do that and I'm not even sure if MS would let me do it as it has been more than a month since I upgraded. Any suggestions how this can be fixed?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    A Windows 8.1 patch would not affect Windows 10. Are you running a Windows Insider preview version? Which version of Windows 10 do you have? See How to Turn On or Off 'Recent Items' and 'Frequent Places' in Windows 10. You can check your settings to ensure they did not get turned off accidentally.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I am using Windows 10 Home

Recent items is turned on and actually works properly in my Classic Start Menu. When I click on the arrow next to Excel on the pinned Excel in my start menu it shows me 10 pinned files and then 7 recent ones. This same list used to come up in the jump list on the task bar when I would right-click the Excel icon but now it just shows the 10 pinned files but just one recent item. If I un-pin one of those 10, it now shows 2 recent items. Interestingly, I noticed that I can't reorganize the pinned items through drag and drop on the taskbar list, but I can do it on the Classic Start Menu list and it will then show up the same way on the taskbar list. I guess this is a good work-around. Though I wish there was a way to change the number of recent and pinned items shown. It currently shows 11 though there is screenspace for more and in Windows 7 and 8 I used to have 15+.

When I right click the task bar and choose properties it gives me "taskbar and start menu properties". This used to have a "start menu" tab that allowed you to change the number of pinned items etc. This seems to have disappeared in Windows 10 (see attached screen shot) though a lot of the google searches I have done show pictures of this dialog with that tab. How do I get that back? Or is it gone?