Lounger
    Thanks

PC locks when formatting USB flash drive

In the past I've always used USB flash drives out-of-the-box, but decided to format an 8GB one.
    I right-clicked on the drive, chose quick format, and waited. From what I've read, a quick format
    should take a few seconds. But after 15 minutes it was still, supposedly, formatting. When it
    started, a grey progress band at the top of the screen worked its way up fairly quickly, slowing
    down as it reached the end. I waited and waited, then finally clicked on Cancel. I received a
    warning that the format could not be interupted, nevertheless I clicked to close it. But the main
    Computer screen had locked, and wouldn't close - even through the Task Manager. I could only
    shut down the PC by pressing and holding the start button on the PC case.

I tried again, formatting a new (default FAT) drive into NTFS. After waiting 30mins it still hadn't finished.
    But Windows Explorer was 'not responding' and everything locked up again. After restarting yet again
    I checked the Properties of the flash drive; it said NTFS. So it had been formatted.
    Maybe I'll try another drive in Safe Mode and see what happens.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I once did a full format to NTFS on a 1TB external HDD and it took about 18hrs.

I think you just have to be patient and wait for Windows to do its thing, although I didn't try to do anything else while it was formatting, so don't know if my laptop would also have been unresponsive.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, but this was (supposed) to be a 'quick format'.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    While I have some Flash drives, I have info on them that I don't want to lose, but the 1TB HDD is unused so I'll run a quick format on that tomorrow to see what effect that has on my system and get back to you.

I'm surprised no one else has jumped in on this unless they don't have anything spare to format either ?

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Hi! I have always used PNY flash. I've never had a problem formatting them. A friend likes the cheap brands and has all kinds of issues. I would rather pay a little more. He buys them 50 at a time and gives them away. 8GB should take very little time to format. I got good stuff on mine, so don't want to experiment. 15 minutes is way to long for 8GB. I don't know what's up with the PC locking up.
    Last edited by holdum333; 2016-01-17 at 19:05.

Lounger
    Thanks
    I found this info on Yahoo Answers:
    https://uk.answers.yahoo.com/questio...8133325AAsZiTa

"How long does it take for a 4gb USB to format?2
    Answers range from 'a few seconds' to 'a minute or two'

I also downloaded the 'HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool - v2.1.8' from:
    http://files.extremeoverclocking.com/file.php?f=197

I tested it with a 4GB USB flash drive (which Windows did convert from FAT to NTFS despite hanging),
    and I tried converting it back to FAT again. But it gave an error that the drive was read only.
    I tested this by copying a few JPEGs across to it without any problems!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    While I have some Flash drives, I have info on them that I don't want to lose, but the 1TB HDD is unused so I'll run a quick format on that tomorrow to see what effect that has on my system and get back to you.

I'm surprised no one else has jumped in on this unless they don't have anything spare to format either ?
    16 GB Kingston USB 3
    It happened so fast I did not even know it was done. 2 seconds maybe?
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm still on USB 2.0 but, even so, it shouldn't take that long.