Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Microsoft says new processors will only work with Windows 10

http://www.theverge.com/2016/1/16/10...essors-skylake

Windows 7 and 8.1 won't be updated for future processors, starting with Intel's Skylake platform

Soon, when you buy a new PC, it won't support Windows 7 or 8. Microsoft has announced a change to its support policy that lays out its plans for future updates to its older operating systems, and the new rules mean that future PC owners with next-generation Intel, AMD, and Qualcomm processors will need to use Windows 10.
    It's not usual for old PCs to fall short of the minimum requirements of a brand new operating system, but in this case, the opposite is happening. Microsoft and its partners will not be putting in the significant work necessary to make new hardware work with older versions of Windows. The old operating systems, at best, will merely lack the latest updates. At worst, they might not function properly.
    Jerry

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jwitalka For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2016-01-17),Fascist Nation (2016-01-17)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The harder MS tries the more it smells like Apple.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Not to defend MS but, at one time, the hardware mfgrs were responsible for coming up with drivers to allow their new hardware to work with the OS. For those who can remember back that far, they were often late with their drivers, if they even brought anything out at all. So, users often ended up having to stop making updates to their OS until the new drivers were available. This was not just limited to MS, Novell ran into the same situation.

Then MS started doing the mfgrs work for them, which made Windows much more acceptable to the market in general since MS was doing all the heavy lifting. Now it seems that MS has gotten tired of playing that game and have said that they will only keep their latest generation of OS up to date with changes in hardware. Are they really doing anything unreasonable?
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Until July 2017, some processors will be able to run Windows 7 and 8: http://www.zdnet.com/article/microso...re-windows-10/.

As we keep seeing, big corporations don't really care about customers that much. Microsoft is showing that more and more, I suppose.

This should bring some issues for some businesses. There are quite a few situations I am aware of where people are dependent on older hardware and / or software and thus need to run older operating system versions. They will be railroaded by this policy, I suppose or Microsoft will support a few new CPUs on older OSes without being very public about it.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fascist Nation View Post
    The harder MS tries the more it smells like Apple.
    That will probably be seen as a compliment, by them.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    I kind of agree with this in a way...
    1. They (MS) already bends over backwards to make a lot of very old software usable on newer OSs.
    2. It's about time hardware starts making older OSs really obsolete & unusable, thereby preventing outdated OSs from running.

But at the same time I don't like this Apple copy-cat business.
    Who really gives a flying f*k about weak and pathetic store apps besides the retarded market place, which caters
    to those who have never really needed a computer in the first place.
    MS should go back to concentrating on business computers and leave the window candy to Apple, they do it better anyway.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't buy it. This story smells fishy.

Most likely, it means that the older OS's will run, they just won't be "officially supported". I rather doubt a hardware check will be retroactively inserted into the older OS installer code, to prohibit them from installing or running.

What this likely concerns is support for new processor features. Advanced new CPU instructions, like a new AVX generation, or hardware assisted encryption/decryption, or hypothetical ray tracing, FPGA, or a 128-bit instruction set. Microsoft is probably saying they won't back-port support for those, even to older but still supported OSs.

However unused instruction capabilities have never stopped software from running. Indeed commonplace CPU hardware has often sat dormant, unused for years, waiting for the software to catch up. It could even be what this is Microsoft is really trying to do. Get the majority of the user base on Windows 10, then MS can focus on getting that code base as current and modern as possible. Which gets more features in the hands of more users, more quickly.

Some users could be negatively affected. But I'll bet the average user benefits.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to BHarder For This Useful Post:

Fascist Nation (2016-01-18)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BHarder View Post
    What this likely concerns is support for new processor features. Advanced new CPU instructions, like a new AVX generation, or hardware assisted encryption/decryption, or hypothetical ray tracing, FPGA, or a 128-bit instruction set. Microsoft is probably saying they won't back-port support for those, even to older but still supported OSs.
    I can go along with that, certainly makes sense when one considers other industries such as car makers that don't guarantee they will have parts available 10 years after a model is dropped.

As for the Apple thing "The harder MS tries the more it smells like Apple.", I like to keep in mind the news articles that Apple was failing back in the late '90s and Mr. Gates purchased some $140 Million dollars worth of non-voting stock to help keep them in business. Shrewd move, keeps Microsoft from being a monopoly and avoids Justice Dept. oversight.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Don't forget that those old OSes will probably be out of mainstream support and thus getting only security fixes. No new development.

Also, this will not affect the normal user. End of sales for machines with Win7 or Win8.1 pre-installed end 2016-10-31. See Windows lifecycle fact sheet.

Joe

Thanks
    I'm guessing that I will still be able to run Windows 7 or other versions in a virtual machine.

Remember when IBM (who is that?) tried to force everyone onto Microchannel? They made a lot of headway, but companies like Compaq stayed with the "IBM-compatible" architecture and prospered as a result. The move to Microchannel ended up killing IBM's personal computer business.

Admittedly, Microsoft is better at this sort of thing than Microsoft. But this could kill Microsoft's monopoly in the OS market.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjimphelps View Post
    I'm guessing that I will still be able to run Windows 7 or other versions in a virtual machine.
    I'm guessing you won't. The virtual machine still uses the same underlying hardware and drivers. If the base machine isn't supported by the old OS, neither will the Virtual machine. Try running XP on a virtual machine which doesn't have XP drivers for the base hardware.

Jerry

Thanks
    That is not good news, however many of us do not utilize MS H/W updates anyway, native support for current H/W is already built in Windows. Manufacturers will likely still provide support for W7 & W8 for a while longer. Skylake is supported at present. If I were to make a bet I would bet W7 will run on Cannonlake and what ever 'Lake' is next in line.
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Thanks
    Another article by Gordon Kelly ( Forbes ).
    If I understand all this correctly, you won't be able to upgrade any of your hardware on a win 7 machine without switching to win 10.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonke...0b198509b7ef28

Think your copy of Windows 7 is supported until 2020? Think your copy of Windows 8 is supported until 2023? You might want to think again because Microsoft MSFT -6.00% has just announced radical changes to how it will treat users of both operating systems…

Talking on its Windows Blog, Microsoft has announced it will now stop support for installations of Windows 7 or Windows 8 if they are on new or upgraded computers running the latest chips from Intel INTC -10.34%, AMD or Qualcomm QCOM -4.44%. Specifically these are listed as ‘Kaby Lake’ (Intel), ‘Bristol Ridge’ (AMD) and Qualcomm’s ‘8996’ (the base for the Snapdragon 820). Between them these chips will dominate sales of all new desktops, laptops, hybrids and tablets in 2016.

In fact Microsoft is going even further than this by also refusing to support Windows 7 and Windows 8 on Intel’s current generation ‘Skylake’ processors, with the exception of a “list of specific new Skylake devices”. This list includes the Dell Latitude 12 and XPS 13; HP EliteBook Folio and G3 and Lenovo ThinkPad T460s and X1 Carbon. Even then support on those devices will only last 18 months ending on 17 July, 2017.

Yes, you read this right: Microsoft is breaking from 31 years of Windows history by refusing to honour its promised Windows lifecycles unless users stick to old hardware. Upgrade your existing Windows 7 or Windows 8 computer to these chipsets or buy new hardware and install Windows 7 or Windows 8 on it and the official Windows Lifecycle dates don’t mean a thing.
    So should consumers be worried? I’d say yes. Whereas Microsoft has previously admitted to using Windows 10 consumers as guinea pigs for business when it comes to security, here businesses are guinea pigs for consumers with regards to upgrade pressure. It’s a strange tactic given businesses are usually tougher to push upgrades on than consumers, but there seems little reason the tactic won’t be expanded to consumers should it prove successful.

As such we find ourselves in a familiar situation. Those with the technical willpower to move to Linux and replace their essential programs will promote this route and those with the financial means to move to Apple and replace their essential programs will promote that route. But for everyone else Microsoft has a captive audience and it is becoming clear that a future on Windows means Windows 10…

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lumpy95 View Post
    Another article by Gordon Kelly ( Forbes ).
    If I understand all this correctly, you won't be able to upgrade any of your hardware on a win 7 machine without switching to win 10.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonke...0b198509b7ef28
    Yeah, we are all going to migrate to Apple, cause they are much more customer friendly in all these matters.

I wonder if these people actually get paid to write this... I find it rather unbelievable...
    Rui
    -------
    R4

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    This kind of thing, whether true, false, or speculative, makes me sick. My brother who used to work for Microsoft in the 90's has now got a computer with Linux on it and he says if this BS continues with MS, the Linux machine will become his main machine. BTW, he still uses Win 7 and has no plans of getting Win 10. I'm thinking about getting my feet wet with Linux so I'll be prepared too.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast