Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Activation problem on 3rd motherboard

Hello. I have a strange problem on my son's computer. We built it with Window 8.1 home in September, 2014. In August 2015, my son upgraded it successfully to Windows 10. He has installed all updates, including the major update in November 2015. In late December, his motherboard gave up the ghost, and we RMA'd it. After we installed and activated W10 successfully on the new MB (using the W8.1 key), the new MB required replacing. The new motherboard works fine, and W10 installed successfully on it. However, we cannot activate it. MS says that a new MB is seen as a new computer, and the license only allows W10 to be installed twice.

I've had no success with MS. Phone activation does not work. MS says I have no choice but to purchase a brand new W10 license.

Has anybody had the same problem and managed to solve it? I've got about 21 days left before the 30 day grace period for activation runs out.

Please let me know if you have any idea.

Thanks,

Rodzu

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Hi! I believe MS will win the argument. They are saying the new MB is seen as a new computer.
    If I read your post right, you are on the 3rd MB. What's blowing them up?? Maybe over clocking??

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks. Somehow seems very unfair. Regarding the MBs: no overclocking at all. I think it is simply bad luck.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rgraff View Post
    Thanks. Somehow seems very unfair. Regarding the MBs: no overclocking at all. I think it is simply bad luck.
    If you could get a live voice on MS and plead your case, you might get lucky. It depends on who you talk to. Some are very generous!
    Bad luck is on my table a lot.
    Good luck

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks. It certainly merits another try or two with MS. Wish me luck.

Thanks
    If Windows 8.1 will install and activate, just upgrade to W10 from there.

You will always be on the underhand when you accept free upgrade offers, this is simply one of those circumstances.

Advice: Purchase Windows 10 pro, either from MS directly as an ISO download, or go shopping on Amazon, Newegg, or wherever.
    Just make certain it's a legitimate business and it's NEW, not second or third hand.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    What type of license came with 8.1?

If it was a retail license you are within your rights to transfer it to the new motherboard, OEM on the other hand will depend on you speaking to a friendly MS rep...

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, CLiNT. That is indeed an option. Just would rather not have to reinstall everything just to back to where I am now.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Browni - OEM.

Thanks
    Well, call MS a few more times, if it's a no go, then pay for the activation.
    At least you'll be able to keep your current software environment.

In the future be wary of OEMs and "free" upgrades.

There of course are other alternatives, but they are illegal and not endorsed by us here.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to CLiNT For This Useful Post:

holdum333 (2016-01-17)

Thanks
    Is the third motherboard identical to the first two motherboards?
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    As I recall the EULA [haven't actually read it lately] specifies the Retail or Upgrade version can be installed on a computer and a replacement computer as long as the first install is no longer in service. Changing some parts can make it seem to be a replacement computer but then I've never seen an actual list of the replacements that can be done before it's deemed to be a new computer.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Berton View Post
    As I recall the EULA [haven't actually read it lately] specifies the Retail or Upgrade version can be installed on a computer and a replacement computer as long as the first install is no longer in service. Changing some parts can make it seem to be a replacement computer but then I've never seen an actual list of the replacements that can be done before it's deemed to be a new computer.
    Retail Windows or upgraded Retail Windows can be moved from one machine to another as long as it is only installed on one machine at a time. I've done this with Windows 10 with two different PC's, one upgraded from Retail Windows 7 Ultimate to Windows 10 Pro. the other upgraded from Retail Windows 7 Ultimate to Windows 8 Pro to 8.1 Pro to Windows 10 Pro. In each case an online chat with Microsoft got them activated without further issue.

OEM Windows is a different kettle of fish, and the EULA says that it can't be moved. The PC that OEM Windows is installed on can be repaired (change a failed motherboard with an identical motherboard) and the hard drive and graphics can even be upgraded. But an upgrade of motherboard/CPU makes it a different machine, and no longer a legitimate license.

I know not everyone agrees with this, but this has been my experience.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    bbearren -

The first motherboard and the third motherboard are the same make and model. The second motherboard was a very slight upgrade from the first.

Rodzu

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast