Thread: Avg av '15

Thanks

Avg av '15

first a post on another thread, I would have started a new one if I knew I was going to have more to say.
    http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...=1#post1040865 was about not being able to save exclusions to file scanning @ the scan result page. There is NO option for such! One must manually enter exclusions in at a settings page.

This morning I had an AVGnsa.exe fault followed by BSOD after an unasked for Program Update. There is No option to delay Updates in settings. This would be a deal killer in and of itself but to make matters worse the Option to make a Restore Point before a program update is not working. Totally unacceptable. I just reinstalled last week because the auto scan feature was not working! ( that seems to be working now).

Am I alone with these problems?
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    If it's the free version then I would dump it first by using a 3rd party Uninstaller program and then run the AVG Uninstaller to ensure there's nothing left and look for another freebie.

Panda seems to be coming up through the ranks and I think I would favour that to Avast Free as that has caused problems for some.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wavy View Post
    This morning I had an AVGnsa.exe fault followed by BSOD after an unasked for Program Update. There is No option to delay Updates in settings. This would be a deal killer in and of itself but to make matters worse the Option to make a Restore Point before a program update is not working. Totally unacceptable. I just reinstalled last week because the auto scan feature was not working! ( that seems to be working now).

Am I alone with these problems?
    I can only tell you that I've been using AVG Free for about 9 to 10 years and haven't had very many problems with it. If I were to have the kind of problem you've had, I would have gotten rid of it fast. Maybe try the 2016 version. I hear that it's better as far as any problems go.

BTW - What version is AVGnsa.exe?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CEScott View Post
    I can only tell you that I've been using AVG Free for about 9 to 10 years and haven't had very many problems with it. If I were to have the kind of problem you've had, I would have gotten rid of it fast. Maybe try the 2016 version. I hear that it's better as far as any problems go.

BTW - What version is AVGnsa.exe?
    It is the paid version 2016 upgraded IIRC from 2015.
    AVGnsa.exe 16.12.0.7294

I spent 1 hour w/ support just trying to get them to admit I had a legal copy, lots of Catch 22 stuff I will not go into here. After resolving that issue I had no more energy to ask about the updates. It may very well be that the updates I see ARE definition updates. If so it would be the first AV program that demands a reboot to install.
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wavy
    If so it would be the first AV program that demands a reboot to install.
    Sadly not... Avast Free insists on a reboot as well. (Given that they're hooking into the OS at a very low level, I would not be surprised if all AV programs insisted on a reboot.)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I think I remember Norton occasionally prompting for a reboot but now when there's a patch to apply, it stops all apps and then restarts them which I suppose is the equivalent of a reboot - but it doesn't need it for normal Definition updates.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I just updated my AVG Free 2015 to AVG Free 2016 and I got this other ZEN program with it. I never heard of it, nor was it ever suggested before. It appears to be some kind of program to "extend" protection to other computers on your network. I don't have a network and don't think I will anytime in the near future. It shoes up as a separate program on CCleaner's uninstall section of tools. So I'm now wondering if I could uninstall this ZEN thing. Have to admit, it's getting more frustrating all the time. Anyone else get this or did I do something wrong?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Okay, I've been doing some research on this and first off (and very irritating) is that you can't just uninstall the AVG ZEN program. It's integrated into the main AVG Antivirus program. Wonderful! We're in the 21st century and things keep getting worse. Apparently it's a screw up on AVG's website but the link below gives information on how you CAN just get the latest AVG Antivirus program without the ZEN attached to it. Now I have to uninstall both AVG programs, get the right one, and do it over again! There was nothing on the webpage that told me that I was going to get their ZEN program with it.

http://techdows.com/2015/11/install-...rotection.html

Edit - I guess that's what I get for saying I haven't had many problems with AVG!
    Last edited by CEScott; 2016-01-19 at 13:29. Reason: Added a relevant thought

Thanks
    I am surprised any other AV wants a reboot to install Def files. I have 1 1/2 years left on my subscription so I will be sticking with it for a while....

David

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    David, I should have done this earlier but I apologize for stepping on your thread with my problem. As you may have noticed, I started a new thread for my AVG problem.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CEScott View Post
    David, I should have done this earlier but I apologize for stepping on your thread with my problem. As you may have noticed, I started a new thread for my AVG problem.
    No problem sometimes it is best to keep stuff all together.

A solution to one problem may have offered its self: It might be if I do not review a problem item it does not get flagged next scan. Sloppy programming on top of poor documentation...

David