Thread: USB 3.0 issues

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

USB 3.0 issues

I have several serious issues with my USB 3.0 connections. Years ago I added a small board to my motherboard to provide for 3.0 access. I have three 3.0 drives. Toshiba Canvio, Seagate Free Agent and a WD Passport Ultra. When the Toshiba and Seagate are connected - no problem. That should prove the card is working. When I add the WD the computer no longer recognizes the other two. They disappear from the File Explorer and Disk Management and sometimes they are listed in the Remove USB list and sometimes not. I have installed the software for all three devices. All three work fine when plugged in to my laptop with a 2.0 connection. At times I have noticed that when a device is listed in the removal process, it does not disappear from the list of connected drives. I have tried rebooting with all of them plugged-in and I have tried adding them one at a time. I have tied them with and without the USB 3.0 hub that I recently added. Are there limits to the number of drives that can be connected? Is there a way to uninstall the USB processes within Windows 10? Any suggestions are appreciated. THANKS!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Check the power consumption for the three devices and what the USB hub will support. Do the drives have their own power?

Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Oops, missing detail

Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    Check the power consumption for the three devices and what the USB hub will support. Do the drives have their own power?

Joe
    The Toshiba and Seagate drives are powered with A/C. The WD drive is USB powered and thanks to your question, I noticed it is not a powered hub. I guess I'll have to stick to having it plugged directly into the computer. Any thought on the other issues since the WD Passport Ultra is now off the list.
    Thanks!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Could be a faulty drive. Have you run any tests on it?

Joe

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have run he SMART test and all three drives work fine on my Windows 7 laptop witha USB 2.0 connection.
    Paul

Administrator
    Thanks
    Could be problem with the hub. Have you tried the various devices on various ports?

Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I assume this triple arrangement worked before upgrading to Win10?

Does the USB3 board have a Win10 USB3 driver? Those old initial USB3 chips could be wonky and I can see where makers would not update their drivers.

You say it does not work when the WD drive is plugged in. Does it work if the WD drive is plugged in first, then one of the others, and finally with the third drive? In other words, is it drive plug in order dependent?

I take it the USB hub when used is plugged into the USB3 board? But I am assuming there are enough ports on just the board to plug all three drives in without the hub. I can see an unpowered hub being an issue.

Yes, there is a way to get rid of USB connected devices that remain after they are actually removed. I'd have to hunt for the procedure. And then it is not an issue of it corrects on its own after a reboot.

I too am concerned with a power issue of these three are pulling power off of the USB3 port. That has a limit. The number of drives that can be present is many dozens so that is not an issue.
    Last edited by Fascist Nation; 2016-01-18 at 18:01.