5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Problems networking Win10/Win7 PCs

LANGALIST PLUS

Problems networking Win10/Win7 PCs

By Fred Langa

Because of a design flaw in all Windows versions, some networking problems simply can't be fixed by the normal networking applets, prompts, and so forth. Here's what to do when all else fails. Plus: A dozen different online libraries that feature old and/or abandoned software.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/langalist-plus/problems-networking-win10win7-pcs/ (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    "Dan Eckert was looking for a way to recover files created by a backup tool that’s no longer published.

Although this story doesn’t have a particularly happy ending, the answer might still be useful for others in similar circumstances.

“I have old backup files in Partition Magic’s DataKeeper’s .dkb format. But I’ve lost the original program to open or recover the files.
    “The files contain old family vacation pictures, valuable documents, and other stuff I’d really like to recover.

“I’ve tried countless file converters and viewers, but none seems to know .dkb or work with it at all.

“What’s the best way to get these files opened and converted to a usable format?”

PowerQuest’s Datakeeper shipped with some versions of Partition Magic many years ago, but it was discontinued after the Symantec acquisition, way back in 2009."

I may have help for Dan , but what version of DataKeeper did he need? Have a copy somewhere and would take some digging, but I would gladly pay it forward if it would help. I think the version I have is 3.0.