New Lounger
    Thanks

Question Win 7 Pro 64 32 bit driver problems

I am running Win7 Pro 64. All has been running well since last May. I have some 32 bit drivers for printers, scanners etc. that were successfully installed and worked quite well since last May.

About a month ago Win 7 refused to recognize one of my scanner's drivers. I tried to reinstall that very same driver (XP driver) but Win 7 said it was incompatible and could not be installed. I tried all of the compatibility modes without any success.

I didn't have time to follow up so I just let it be and used another scanner. Now I need the ICE feature.

The scanner is a scanmaker 6800 with ICE. I miss being able to use ICE and a replacement for this scanner is just not in the budget.

The only thing I can come up with is that maybe a recent M$ patch (any one of the 75+ recently) changed something that would not allow me to reinstall this 32 bit driver.

Anyone know of any patch problems or have any ideas would be much appreciated.

It seems the more patches I get the more quirks Win 7 has.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Have you checked to see if there are any 64 bit drivers for the scanner or if it is Win 7 compatible, as there may be a patch for it on its support site.

EDIT - having had a dig around, Vista 64bit drivers should work for Win 7.
    Last edited by Sudo15; 2016-01-18 at 18:23.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

BorisBadinoff (2016-01-19)

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    An alternative might be to purchase ($40 Std/$90 Pro) & install VueScan: http://www.hamrick.com/
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

5. The Following User Says Thank You to macropod For This Useful Post:

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I went onto the Microtek site and I couldn't even find that model listed and a further Google suggested XP was as high as it went, so not sure how it continued to work in Win 7 with XP drivers for Win 7 to suddenly decide it no longer liked those drivers.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

New Lounger
    Thanks

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    I went onto the Microtek site and I couldn't even find that model listed and a further Google suggested XP was as high as it went, so not sure how it continued to work in Win 7 with XP drivers for Win 7 to suddenly decide it no longer liked those drivers.
    TY I have checked there on Monday (again) but the original XP driver is still the only one offered. This was the one that originally worked under Win 7. I redownloaded it and retried to install it but with the same "can't run" result.

Yes this is an older scanner but it has had little use so it is in excellent shape. It also has ICE built into the scanner which helps in restoring old (Really OLD) photos at the optical level so I have more options when working with it in Photoshop.

Ty for taking the time to reply

New Lounger
    Thanks
    TY for the recommendation. I have seen some other companies Win7 drivers for this scanner but they would NOT support ICE.

This one doesn't mention ICE support one way or the other. I have sent an email to their support for clarification.

Thank you

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    Have you checked to see if there are any 64 bit drivers for the scanner or if it is Win 7 compatible, as there may be a patch for it on its support site.

EDIT - having had a dig around, Vista 64bit drivers should work for Win 7.
    TY

Microtek support suggest the XP driver when I use their automated selection process. They say it will work on Win 7 64 too. At least it did!

I will check out Vista drivers. Hadn't thought of that.

Thank you

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Just a thought - have you tried the scanner in Safe Mode with Networking should it be a 3rd party whatever that's causing the problem of incompatibility ?