Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

General thoughts Win7 to Win10

I have a Win7 desktop, a Win8.1 desktop and a Win8.1 laptop. Both Win8 systems are using the excellent Classic Shell.

From general nosing around the web (and Windows Secrets, I believe), I have seen several "recommendations" about the upgrade.

These were upgrade 8 to 10, but consider whether upgrading 7 to 10 is worth the bother.

I see in the latest Secrets newsletter an article "adding a Win10 PC results in networking issues". I have NOT read that article yet.

I would be interested in other opinions about Win7 to 10 upgrade.

TIA

K
    Last edited by kevmeist; 2016-01-19 at 07:46.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I just did a 7 to 10 upgrade on my laptop. It's now generally smoother and quieter than it was under 7 and there is no real difference in usability - don't use the menu much and when I do it's easy.
    What I don't like is the tiles in the menu that update off the internet without asking me and the telemetry. I used Spybot anti-beacon to shut most things up.

cheers, Paul

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Hi I ungraded from W7 to W10 and I really like W10. I recommend the Media Creation Tool. I also recommend creating back up images that you can use to roll back to if you decide you don't like W10.
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/soft...load/windows10

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    So far, I'm liking what I see in Windows 10. It adds back the Start menu and Continuum is a much more successful melding of the touch and desktop interfaces. Cortana is pretty neat and I like the trend to richer computer interfaces (touch and speech).

Windows 10 is definitely more chatty in terms of it phoning back to Microsoft. A lot of that is quality telemetry or the data interface to Cortana. In the medium term there's some risk that MS will begin ad mining this data though, so I recommend shutting down the settings that don't add any value to your life.

Apparently the Redstone update in 2016 will add more support for high pixel density display devices. This is something Windows needs as these very high resolution displays are already on the market.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    First thanks to all that replied. Paul...why quieter do you think?

K

Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    I just did a 7 to 10 upgrade on my laptop. It's now generally smoother and quieter than it was under 7 and there is no real difference in usability - don't use the menu much and when I do it's easy.
    What I don't like is the tiles in the menu that update off the internet without asking me and the telemetry. I used Spybot anti-beacon to shut most things up.

cheers, Paul

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts

7. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

Paul T (2016-01-20)

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I did use the right click method to stop the tiles updating, one setting would have been nice.

@kevmeist, it's quieter because the fan runs less often, implying the CPU is doing less work.

cheers, Paul

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Interesting, I wonder if MS have done something in Win10 with the idle loop processing?

K

Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    @kevmeist, it's quieter because the fan runs less often, implying the CPU is doing less work.cheers, Paul

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    The telemetry makes it fantastic?

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    I upgraded a long-in-the-tooth Windows 7 Ultimate to Windows 10 Pro, and it was relatively uneventful. Two of my utilities got dumped as "not compatible" with Windows 10. After the upgrade and the Windows updates were finished, I re-installed the two utilities, and they work just fine in Windows 10. All my settings and software (other than those utilities) survived the upgrade.

I use StartIsBack++, and the Start Menu is very much like Windows 7. I have no live tiles in use, and most of the telemetry shut down. Windows 10 is a bit snappier than Windows 7. I use Cortana on my Windows phone, but I don't use it on my PC. For the most part, I'm using Windows 10 full-time now.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    I left Windows 7 behind long ago and I'm now on Windows 10. I do find it to be a bit snappier.
    The "telemetry" that Paul mentions is a total non issue, as with many other notable complaints, Windows 10, just like
    any other MS, can be tinkered/tweaked to resolve many of these annoyances.

If your Windows 7 computer's hardware is Windows 7 era I would be hesitant to upgrade old hardware.
    If you are content with Windows 7, just keep it until it's no longer useful. Upgrade the W8.1 machine's as they will likely be the least painful to upgrade.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    As ever, there seem to be a few reasons why technicians might like W10 but precious little motivation for someone who simply uses a PC to do stuff . . . apart, that is, from the negative of Microsoft doing their best to make it impossible to stay with older OSs.
    Can anyone come up with positive user-related reasons to make the big learning curve to a new OS and taking the stability/functionality risks worthwhile ?

Thanks
    You mean besides being able to post how WONDERFUL W10 is and how, oh so last year W8.1 is?

Truthfully if we are still alive in a few years and want Windows on new HW it will almost certainly be WX or its descendent. When do you want to 'experience' the learning curve, now or when you are a few years older? Certainly you don't want to do it after a catastrophic failure of your old HW. Bring it on gradually, use it on a spare, run an insider version in a VM (I am hoping this is still possible). It is the future just not necessarily next Tuesday. BTW did ja hear the one about the guy being asked what they would call the recent East coast blizzard in Buffalo? Tuesday!

David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Thanks
    David has a good point. It is a "now or later" game, whether one wishes to play or not. For me, using StartIsBack++ there is very little noticeable difference between using Windows 10 and using Windows 7. The font and background of the Start Menu is different, but the layout is still Windows 7. Using one of the third party start menus, those settings that have been relocated in Windows 10 can still be reached by starting with the Windows 7 familiar route. Once you reach the point where Windows 10 branches off from the Windows 7 way of doing things, you are presented with a shortcut that takes you where you need to go to change the setting.

It really isn't that steep a learning curve, and what it takes to get a Windows 7 look and feel is quite simple to accomplish. On the other hand, lots of folks like the Windows 10 UI and have had little difficulty in becoming familiar with it. Windows 8 UI was a dud, not doubt about that, but With StartIsBack, even Windows 8 was hardly distinguishable from Windows 7.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kevmeist View Post
    I have a Win7 desktop, a Win8.1 desktop and a Win8.1 laptop. Both Win8 systems are using the excellent Classic Shell.... whether upgrading 7 to 10 is worth the bother....
    1. Classic Shell runs on Win10.

2. If you like 8.1 I have to figure you will like 10.

3. If you like 10 I have to figure you will want to update the Win7 PC by the July 29 (?) deadline. Longer support though that may not be an issue depending on how old the PC is and how long you typically use them. That would mean best to update to Win10 now on the 8.1 systems to judge. You are already operating with two OS, 7 and 8.1, but some people would also consider operating everything on a single OS like Win10 advantageous including networking.

4. Backup the image of each PC before the upgrades in case you change your mind. 30 days to revert with Win10 assuming it works. With an image not an issue except for the amount to work saved to PCs between the upgrade and the downgrade.
    Last edited by Fascist Nation; 2016-01-24 at 17:34.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast