Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Thumbs up Office 2003 on Windows 10 works FINE

There was another post on this subject, but as it was more than 144 days old, I could not post in it. I still feel it's important to post this, for others in a similar situation (who make searches for answers as I did) to find:

I got 3 new PCs with Windows 10, 3 weeks ago. Bought Office 2016, installed on PCs. All hell broke loose. Crashes (up to 10 per day). Non-stop with Tech support, no solution. After 3 weeks uninstalled all 2016.

Installed my old disc with Office 2003 basic on the new Win 10. No problems whatsoever. Runs exactly as it always did before (on XP previously). Actually runs better, since I now have a bigger/better/faster new machine.

As I positively HATED the new 2016, apart from the crashing, (hated the ribbon, and it's WAY slower), I'm very happy to have my 2003 back. I use exclusively Excel, but I use many files (at the same time), they're (very) big files, tons of macros in each, and I run them all day long non-stop. 2003 handles that like a trooper, on Win 10 as it did in XP, also briefly had it on a Win 8.1.

Thanks
    Office 2016 works great on my Windows 10 rs1 11102 computer. Fast, and furious with no crashes.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello Jyttec.

>>> Office 2016 works great on my Windows 10 rs1 11102 computer. Fast, and furious with no crashes. <<<

Office 2000 runs great on the same build as dj mentioned on his machine. Jean.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello,

I also use Office 2003, currently with Windows 8.1. I use Word as my e-mail editor in Outlook. One thing which is NOT compatible with Win8.1 (although it worked in Win7), is for Outlook to auto-complete an e-mail address (based on contacts or recent emails). Attempting this causes Outlook to freeze. Thus, I have had to turn off auto-complete. It's a known problem:
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/o...ork-win-win-81

My question: is anyone able to test whether this problem still exists in Windows 10?
    NB: This is a problem only when Word is your e-mail editor.

I'd also be interested if anyone knows of other problems with Excel 2003, Word 2003 or Outlook 2003 under Windows 10 (I have seen some previous mention of not being able to save Word documents).

I'm trying to get a sense whether upgrading from Windows 8.1 to 10 will make my life (with Office 2003) better, worse, or much the same.

Thanks!
    ckp

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JytteC View Post
    There was another post on this subject, but as it was more than 144 days old, I could not post in it. I still feel it's important to post this, for others in a similar situation (who make searches for answers as I did) to find:

I got 3 new PCs with Windows 10, 3 weeks ago. Bought Office 2016, installed on PCs. All hell broke loose. Crashes (up to 10 per day). Non-stop with Tech support, no solution. After 3 weeks uninstalled all 2016.

Installed my old disc with Office 2003 basic on the new Win 10. No problems whatsoever. Runs exactly as it always did before (on XP previously). Actually runs better, since I now have a bigger/better/faster new machine.

As I positively HATED the new 2016, apart from the crashing, (hated the ribbon, and it's WAY slower), I'm very happy to have my 2003 back. I use exclusively Excel, but I use many files (at the same time), they're (very) big files, tons of macros in each, and I run them all day long non-stop. 2003 handles that like a trooper, on Win 10 as it did in XP, also briefly had it on a Win 8.1.

JytteC:
    I have successfully installed Office 2003 on my new Windows 10 machine. An annoying glitch with Excel. When I save an xls file, the resulting file has the same red and white icon as a pdf file (rather than the green xls icon). Although the file extension is ".xls" when I double click the icon it asks Acrobat reader to open it.

If I open Excel and hunt for the file with the red icon, I CAN open it. However, it is far easier for me to find a file in Windows Explorer and then double click to display it in Excel.

Any ideas how I can turn off this save function which makes the xls file into a semi-pdf?

Cheers,

poet

New Lounger
    Thanks
    JytteC and All:
    Problem: a pdf icon attached to a windows 2003 xls file . . . plus when I double clicked Acrobat reader tried to open it as a pdf.

Solution: in windows 10, I searched for Default programs. I scrolled down through a long list of file extensions and, when I found ".xls" I set it to be opened by Excel. After I did this, the red "pdf" icons went away and the familiar green "xls" icon appeared. Now, when I double-click, the file displays in Excel 2003 . . . as it should.

Poet

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Problems with Word 2003 on my new Windows 10 machine:
    When I click the W shortcut on my desktop, a W icon appears in the task bar at the bottom of my screen . . . but a document window does not open.

When I click the W in the taskbar I sometimes see a small gray image representing an open word window. However, I can not enlarge the window to work on the document.

When I double click a file with a ".doc" extension, the W appears in the taskbar but a window does not open.

Ideas?

Cheers,

poet

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,126 Times in 986 Posts
    Uninstall and reinstall office?

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have part of Office 2003 installed namely Word Excel Document Scanning all work as they should. Have you installed 2016 at any time just wondering if it's still associated.

Thanks
    Running Office 2016, the latest Insider Preview with the black theme on Windows 10 14267. It is fast, and furious. I love it!

New Lounger
    Thanks

Open with?

Quote Originally Posted by poet1970 View Post
    When I click the W shortcut on my desktop, a W icon appears in the task bar at the bottom of my screen . . . but a document window does not open.

When I click the W in the taskbar I sometimes see a small gray image representing an open word window. However, I can not enlarge the window to work on the document.

When I double click a file with a ".doc" extension, the W appears in the taskbar but a window does not open.

Ideas?

Cheers,

poet
    Since I do not have Ofc 2003 on my Vista to test with, I can only ask you if you have tried this:
    Right click on the file, select 'Open with', then select "Microsoft Office Word" or "Internet Explorer"

I personally cannot open any Microsoft Office Word documents without doing the above. (I use Ofc2007.)
    Last edited by GM30303; 2016-02-23 at 06:55.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by poet1970 View Post

Ideas?

Cheers,

poet
    Try creating a new shortcut for Word.

The specific item you want to point the shortcut to will be winword.exe, and you will find it in a location similar to the following:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office12

Hunt around for an "Office12", "Office14", etc. folder. Look in that folder for winword.exe.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JytteC View Post
    Constant crashing is almost always a sign of an installation gone bad. That bad installation would also cause the program to run slow. I'm running Win 10 and Office 360 (2016) with no crashes whatsoever. All programs are much faster than their earlier counterparts. The ribbon gui is different than what you are used to, but it's not going away despite the years of complaints from those resistant to change. Stop trying to make new programs act like the old and learn the "new way" of doing things. I once had a mentor who claimed that the only constant in life was change. He was right, though I certainly didn't think so at the time!

I should update my signature, it has an old system.
    Last edited by DonH.; 2016-02-23 at 09:36. Reason: edit to reflect new system
    Don
    Windows 10 64bit, Intel Core i5-490K 3.5GHz, Intel HD Graphics, 8GBRAM, 350GB SSD

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I can't believe that no one has mentioned this yet: Office 2003 has been out of support ("end-of-life") for quite a while now. That means that it no longer gets security updates, even when current day vulnerabilities or exploits are discovered.

I cannot recommend anyone use any software that does not get security updates, even on the relatively secure Windows 10. There's just too much criminal activity on the Internet, and the cost of recovering from exploits and privacy theft are too high.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    How about returning to Office 2010? I hate 2016 for a number of reasons, but one is the icons, especially on your custom toolbar. It 2010, they’re clear and easy to spot. I have good up close vision, but I have to scan to find the action I want in 2016. And, there’s more distance between them, so fewer fit on your page. AutoCorrect is gone from the right click menu, a huge loss for me. It was helpful to go to a white skin; the blue made deciphering icons even more difficult.

I don't know if Office 2013 was similar to 2016 or 2010. I could drop back if it were.

Thoughts?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast