New Lounger
    Thanks

Keep Windows 7 if computer is older than 2013!

Windows 10? Free?
    I tend to buy my computers for years of future use so I was very mad when I checked both my laptop and desktop at the OEM sites and found they would not be supported for Windows 10. The laptop is a Dell XPS 17 (702x) with a core I7, 8MB ram, intel HD3000 graphics (not supported by Intel), auxiliary Nvidia 555m graphics (at least this is supported by Nvidia), Samsung SSD (for boot drive), great HD 1920x1080 screen, backlit keyboard...etc. I know it's a few years old but it's still plenty fast and runs everything. The desktop is a HP e9280t also with a Core I7, 8MB ram, Samsung SSD (for boot drive), Nvidia GeForce GTX 750Ti 2GB GDDR5 graphics (excellent replacement for original AMD card and supported), Logitech backlit keyboard, great HD 22" monitor...etc. It's also a few years old but still fast.

My main problem is the slight of hand Microsoft is trying to pull. Yes, I get the constant nags which state these computers are ready to go --- get Windows 10; for FREE! But if the OEMs and various manufacturers have abandoned all updates and drivers, why would I take the chance on Windows 10? The computers are working great with Windows 7 and the operating system will be supported to 1/14/2020. Bug fixes, patches and other updates will also keep rolling out until the end of this decade, ensuring that Windows 7 will remain protected against malware and other threats.
    Windows 10?
    Thanks, Microsoft. What a great free offer!!!!!!!!!
    I won't be helping to add to Microsoft's all-important operating system user numbers.
    I wish someone at Windows Secrets would cover this 'bait and switch' in more detail.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    How far upnorth ?
    Talk about old machines, I run a 9 year old Toshiba laptop, an 8 year old Acer desktop and a 7 year old Lenovo also desktop and they all run W-10 to beat the band.

This is a good advice, do a clone first ( not an image ) then try W-10, you might be elated as I am. You can always clone back, I have not, even if I clone roughly weekly, as a precaution, that is ! Be ready for a long install, +/- 2 hours, a few restarts too.

My vidcard is not honoured by W-10, I fooled it by using the driver CD that came with it and voilà, trick done. Old printers are also part of the fun, my HP Laserjet was produced in 1998. Be ready to show some initiative, it pays in the long run, short run too. Drivers are the stumping block, find them and you are away running fine.

Edit: You wrote : The computers are working great with Windows 7. It has been said here that if it runs in W-7, W-8 and/or W-8.1, W-10 will run it. I am proof of this.

All best wishes. Jean.
    Last edited by handcuff36; 2016-01-19 at 14:25.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    I haven't jumped to 10, yet, but I have a 7 year old desktop that I just migrated to 8.1 without any issues. It performs better than on 7. I find your advice to stay on 7 a bit uninformed, to be honest.

Going into 10 is another matter. I think performance is not my main concern regarding 10, there are other things that make me hesitant to make the jump, even with my two month old laptop!
    Rui
    -------
    R4

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Try this link. http://www.zdnet.com/article/will-yo...r-to-find-out/
    It explains how to check you systems to see if they will run Win 10 without installing it. This is from Microsoft not some
    web arbitrary or manufacturers web site.
    I've installed Win 10 on numerous old systems with absolutely no issues.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by djohnson View Post
    If you do the upgrade, you needn't have made an image! You can roll back in about 5 minutes!
    The built in rollback option works most times but doesn't always return you to your exact preinstall state. Also the rollback option is only good for 30 days. A disk image is a better option.

Jerry

6. The Following User Says Thank You to jwitalka For This Useful Post:

holdum333 (2016-01-19)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by upnorth guy View Post
    I tend to buy my computers for years of future use so I was very mad when I checked both my laptop and desktop at the OEM sites and found they would not be supported for Windows 10.
    Is the issue Windows 10 or that the mfgr isn't providing some updated driver to work with the new OS? I bought a used Dell Latitude to use as a test platform and upgraded it to Win 10 but had problems both the DVD and Video. I fixed the DVD issue with a registry patch but the Nvidea display is limited in function because they don't have a new driver set for Win 10.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by upnorth guy View Post
    I wish someone at Windows Secrets would cover this 'bait and switch' in more detail.
    I don't understand the bait or the switch in your circumstances. What were you promised that hasn't been delivered? Windows 10 is a free upgrade which you're not willing to try.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts
    I'm sure the hardware vendors are pleased with this decision by Microsoft. They don't have to worry about creating and supporting drivers for older OSes. Seems as though Microsoft is taking some of the heat off the hardware vendors.

Joe