• Agree

4 33.33%
  • Disagree

8 66.67%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Win10 is Spyware

It wasn't too many years ago that any software that "phones home" and collects data as extensively as Win10 would be considered spyware. Now we embrace the technology. Are so many people willing to allow this to happen because they foresee some benefit or is it the Microsoft is just too big to stand up to and demand changes. I personally want to know if Win7 is going to me my last Windows OS. I tried Win10 on one of my systems and was amazed at the amount of communication allowed through my firewall by default. I didn't spend my time working with Win10 before I got paranoid and uninstalled it. I couldn't tell what I could block at the firewall or what services I could disable. It seemed that MS was creating programs so intertwined that it was let MS have it's data mining enabled or you'd end up with an OS that won't function. I haven't found anyone talking about what programs and services can be safely blocked or disabled or what can be blocked at the firewall. I also have some proprietary drivers and programs that MS wants to update on my one of my high end Win7 laptops. This has caused programs to stop working forcing a driver rollback. These trends are so disturbing to me that I see this as a sign that the end must be near. Trusting our lives to Microsoft to control and "protect" us is joke we should all know is a mistake. How can I safely use Win10? How can I in good conscience, recommend upgrading for many of my clients that have little understanding of computers and what security they are sacrificing. I use Linux but can't expect most of my clients to learn it. Maybe some of my older clients will die before Win7 expires. In business environments the network traffic and social media/cloud connections are dangerous. Encouraging this always connected scenario is setting up a major meltdown. It's just a matter of time!

JLB

Thanks

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka
    For an alternate view see...
    I'm so glad you used alternate, rather than unbiased or impartial.

Thanks
    We all have our biases and partialities.

Jerry

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Microsoft has been collecting telemetry data for a long time. If you ever opted in to the Customer Experience Improvement Program you've allowed a lot of data to be collected and sent to Microsoft. The "new" part is the amount of telemetry Microsoft is collecting. Only you can decide what OS will be your last.

There are many articles around telling you how to disable the telemetry. A little searching and you'll be able to find them. There are even some third party programs which claim to disable all the telemetry. There is a setting in Win10 to not update drivers.

Personally, I would trust Microsoft to do what they say with the data. I would much rather have my friends, relatives, and clients running Win10 than any other Microsoft OS.

Joe

6. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

jwitalka (2016-01-19)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Trust Microsoft? MS has been making bad decisions for years. They don't listen to the people that use their product. They have systematically ruined the best program they they ever wrote "Windows Explorer." MS has been trying to copy the success of Apple by attempting to copy the user interface and functionality and they fail every time. Apple makes better computers (hardware) and a better OS. I work with both. When Win 8 came out with it's smart phone interface that was the end for me. I have since learned through this newsletter that almost every MS employee associated with Win 8 was fired or relocated to "Siberia." Now they are forcing this crap down our throats and on computers run by people that aren't capable of learning how to use the new interface and don't understand the implications of their decisions. And like you mentioned--disabling Telemetry is done at one's own risk because then MS has an excuse to leave your computer vulnerable. Most people I work with don't want Cortana and resent having to sign in to a MS account to get anything. Especially such simple things link games. Simple built in games now you have to sign in to download game "Apps." What a joke, MS wants to control everything you do. I remember when they forced Sysinternals to get taken over. The ultimatum--join us or we won't give you access to the new OS code. Now all of those great tools are integrated into MS OS. But what could those tools be without MS controlling them? Probably a lot better. Anyway I know this is a Windows newsletter and most of you are going to be preaching the love of MS.
    Last edited by JoeP517; 2016-01-19 at 23:27. Reason: removed derogatory comments

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Take off your tinfoil hat. Just because Microsoft does not appear to be listening to you does not mean that aren't listening to their users. The telemetry data you are so afraid of provides Microsoft with a lot of information about how their products are actually used. Microsoft bases some of the development decisions on this actual usage data.

Has Microsoft made bad decisions along the way? Certainly. Just like any company trying to advance their products. The implementation of Win8 was a poor decision. Thus Win10. BTW, it was upper management of Win8 that was fired, given the opportunity to find other employment, or moved in the company. I would guess that most of the people doing the actual development work are still working on Windows. Microsoft can not just turn over a development organization that large that quickly.

Disabling telemetry has nothing to do with Microsoft's efforts to produce secure products. Microsoft will not disable your ability to install security patches.

Where did you come up with the idea that Sysinternals was forced to be taken over? The founders and owners of Sysinternals decided to sell it to Microsoft and go to work for Microsoft. Sysinternals is part of TechNet, is still free, and is still in active development by Mark Russinovich (and others). The Sysinternals tools are not part of Windows. Some features in various tools may be in Windows.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes Sysinternals is free but subtle things are different. EX: Process Explorer used to have a search feature that was independent of MS. Now if you right click the process you have to search with Bing. One of the best tools Sysinternals made is no longer available because MS couldn't be associated with something that could bypass it's security and change admin passwords. Now local admins have to use 3rd party tools that are outrageously expensive or are of dubious origin. Why does MS try so hard to hide tools incorporated in Windows? I guess it gives people reasons to write books about where the "Secrets" are. MS had to do away with "Gadgets" because they were so insecure and resource hogs. But brought them back as "Apps"-----just more crap running constantly having to access the Internet. It won't be long before people are hacking the "Apps." And of course everything has to be synchronized so when one thing gets infected the virus will spread like a pandemic through all of your connected devices and the cloud which will rain down on the rest of the world. I don't need a tin hat I'm going for a full coat of armor. Good luck to all the MS lovers, I,m sure MS is happy with you.
    Last edited by satrow; 2016-01-20 at 03:30. Reason: Removing personal attacks.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JLB View Post
    Yes Sysinternals is free but subtle things are different. EX: Process Explorer used to have a search feature that was independent of MS. Now if you right click the process you have to search with Bing.
    Must be a W10 'feature' or you've got it set at defaults. Here on W7, Process Explorer's search fires up a new window in my default browser and uses my default search engine. Not IE, not Bing. What I've installed and set.

Similar with your "everything has to be synchronized": turn off Sharing/Remote Access/RDP etc., disable the Services, etc. related to them and crank up the firewall settings. Relax.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by satrow View Post
    Must be a W10 'feature' or you've got it set at defaults. Here on W7, Process Explorer's search fires up a new window in my default browser and uses my default search engine. Not IE, not Bing. What I've installed and set.
    I can confirm that is the same behaviour on Win10 also.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JLB View Post
    Yes Sysinternals is free but subtle things are different. EX: Process Explorer used to have a search feature that was independent of MS. Now if you right click the process you have to search with Bing. One of the best tools Sysinternals made is no longer available because MS couldn't be associated with something that could bypass it's security and change admin passwords. Now local admins have to use 3rd party tools that are outrageously expensive or are of dubious origin. Why does MS try so hard to hide tools incorporated in Windows? I guess it gives people reasons to write books about where the "Secrets" are. MS had to do away with "Gadgets" because they were so insecure and resource hogs. But brought them back as "Apps"-----just more crap running constantly having to access the Internet. It won't be long before people are hacking the "Apps." And of course everything has to be synchronized so when one thing gets infected the virus will spread like a pandemic through all of your connected devices and the cloud which will rain down on the rest of the world. I don't need a tin hat I'm going for a full coat of armor. Good luck to all the MS lovers, I,m sure MS is happy with you.
    There are so much technically wrong statements here... Oh well.

In any case, why complain about MS?! Just dump them. They are not worth the aggravation.

Luckily there other competitors. I am sure you will much happier with Apple or Linux, or even with one of those fully capable computers running Chrome OS, from another company that fully respects their customers, Google.

Enjoy the ride.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

13. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

mrjimphelps (2016-01-21)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ruirib View Post
    ...Enjoy the ride.
    Do I detect sarcasm?
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Coochin View Post
    Do I detect sarcasm?
    Not at all. I am just sure there are rivers of happiness in waiting as soon as we dump something that makes us so angry.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    ...there are rivers of happiness in waiting as soon as we dump something that makes us so angry.
    Anger is such a negative reaction...what is it that provokes your anger?

Maybe we can help?
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Not at all. I am just sure there are rivers of happiness in waiting as soon as we dump something that makes us so angry.
    Your reply is misdirected.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast