2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Keep losing the DNS settings

The system is Windows 8.1 Pro
    We are using a static IP and DNS setup, This is a requirement by our business software provider.

The problem is: every time the system is rebooted the DNS settings are being cleared to nothing.
    I'm looking for ideas or solutions to this problem.
    I have done a lot of research and a lot of people have had this issue, but as yet no solutions.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    DNS setting should be sticky. If you can't find the issue you can add a start up program (batch file) that sets it for you.
    http://tweaks.com/windows/40339/conf...-command-line/

cheers, Paul

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Once you have set up the DNS servers, open a Command Prompt (Admin) and enter ipconfig /flushdns followed by ipconfig /registerdns to see if that will make it stick, but Event Viewer may have something recorded for it.

Can you also go into services.msc and ensure DNS Client is showing as Started and Automatic.

Have you also run an antimalware scan ?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have done the /flushdns in the past but not the /registerdns
    I have now done all your suggestions I guess we wait and see, can't reboot now it's a Doctors office server.
    Malware bytes runs every night.

Thanks for the suggestions

Ron

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Did you get a chance to check if the DNS Client service is as it should be and if Event Viewer has anything ?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The DNS client is as it should be, can't check the logs until after 21:00 hours.

Thanks
    Have you considered using AutoRuns to check for what may be causing the change, e.g. a Scheduled Task, autostart entry or even logoff/shutdown scripts?

If nothing is found you could use Process Monitor's Boot Logging mode to monitor startup, stop the capture then filter just for 'Registry Activity', using 'Find' to look for NameServer. This should show at what point the DNS entries were being changed in the registry. You could then use the 'Show process and Thread Activity' filter to see what process was doing the changing.

Hope this helps..
    Last edited by Rick Corbett; 2016-01-21 at 01:51.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    As it's a server all IP settings should be manually configured. Do you have any set to auto?

cheers, Paul

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Paul
    All settings are manual.
    Yes it's being used as a local workgroup server but its not running server software only Windows 8.1

This weekend I plan on looking into "AUTORUNS" and Process Monitor's boot logging.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RonB-TX
    Yes it's being used as a local workgroup server but its not running server software only Windows 8.1

This weekend I plan on looking into "AUTORUNS" and Process Monitor's boot logging.
    I guess you have remote access to the 'server'. What are you using? I don't have any personal experience but have heard that some remote access/VPN solutions have been known to change DNS settings (I've heard Logmein Hamachi mentioned).

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm Using TEAMVIEWER which I use on all my client servers plus I use RDT a lot of the time even when TEAMVIEWER is installed.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RonB-TX
    I'm Using TEAMVIEWER which I use on all my client servers plus I use RDT a lot of the time even when TEAMVIEWER is installed.
    I've used TeamViewer and RDC for years as well and never had a DNS issue either but thought I would check, just in case.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Did Event Viewer have anything recorded - the error would probably have a time stamp for when the machine was switched on or rebooted.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Event Viewer did not have anything pointing to a network problem.
    The only thing showing in AUTORUNS dealing with networking was the Bonjour Service disabling that did not fix it.

I have setup a Powershell script to run at startup and this seems to be working.
    We plan on upgrading this system to Windows 10 in the near future, maybe that will fix the problem.

Thanks for everyones suggestion but I'm setting this aside, as I have a few other more pressing issues to work.