5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Win10(64) Going to Sleep While Macrium Running Backup

To state it plainly, when Macrium Reflect is running, I want to prevent the computer from going to sleep.

I have Win10 on a SurfacePro3 and have been experimenting with doing an image to the built in micro-SD card reader. It works OK and takes about 13 min to run. But after running for 10 min, the machine goes to sleep and the process stops. I've done some interweb research on this and found similar questions have come up from time to time but the answers often seem to mistakenly answer the reverse question.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Run "powercfg" before and after the backup.
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/.../ff700230.aspx

cheers, Paul

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    Run "powercfg" before and after the backup.
    What parameter(s) are you suggesting?

I've used it before and there are parameters that aren't listed so I know I can do audits or change the power settings. Are you suggesting I audit something or turn off something?

Macrium isn't the only program this is an issue with. It will also go to sleep while I'm transferring files. Basically, I'm trying to find out how to get it to recognize that certain programs, when running, should keep it awake. Win 10 seems to be much more aggressive about powering down.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Graham,

You could use PowerShell to set the desired power scheme, run your program, reset the power scheme.

Here's a PowerShell Script that maybe you can adapt?

If you're not up on PS post back and I'll give it a go.

HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    You could use PowerShell to set the desired power scheme, run your program, reset the power scheme.
    I can do the same with a simple CMD file that changes the settings with powercfg. And there are utilities that will keep some activity going that will keep Windows from going to sleep. But what I am really trying to find out is how to tell Windows not to go to sleep when a certain program is running.

I'm not sure if Win10 is more prone to do this than Win7 (or 8) but it sure seems as if it is.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware

Thanks
    Within my Windows 7, I made a shortcut to Power Options, after clicking that shortcut, I turn sleep off just before engaging in OPs that sleep would interrupt. I think W10 can also do that. What some have done: created a batchfile that invokes powercfg OFF, calls up the first menu of program X [or EXE with passed parameters], after program X exits, powercfg ON.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RolandJS View Post
    Within my Windows 7, I made a shortcut to Power Options, after clicking that shortcut, I turn sleep off just before engaging in OPs that sleep would interrupt. I think W10 can also do that. What some have done: created a batchfile that invokes powercfg OFF, calls up the first menu of program X [or EXE with passed parameters], after program X exits, powercfg ON.
    Yes. There are any number of ways to turn the sleep off, but I'm trying to see if there is a way to do it without having to fiddle with the sleep settings every time I want to run something.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware

Thanks
    Perhaps the answer is to flag it up with Macrium... for all we know it may be a known issue that's already being worked on?

Unfortunately the Troubleshooting section in the Knowledgebase hasn't been updated since May 2015 so no mention there and I couldn't find the issue mentioned in the Support forums.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Corbett View Post
    Perhaps the answer is to flag it up with Macrium... for all we know it may be a known issue that's already being worked on?
    I searched the forum there and also did a general interweb search. One thing I did run across was a general suggestion of setting up a job as a scheduled task that can be run on demand. Theory is that a scheduled job is more likely to keep the computer from going to sleep. Worth a try, but that's not going to help with large file transfers which I'm also having issues with.

I'm trying to see if there is a way for Windows to keep the computer awake if there is network or USB traffic. I would think that should be a no-brainer but it's not.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware

Thanks
    I'm not sure if a scheduled task will over-ride power options. Better test with a "throwaway" job.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RolandJS View Post
    I'm not sure if a scheduled task will over-ride power options. Better test with a "throwaway" job.
    I try and always test things that way. In this case, I can simply setup a short backup test and see how long it takes to run then set the sleep to start in less time than that.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware