Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

AVG forces Zen program with 2016 AV Free

I just updated my AVG Free 2015 to AVG Free 2016 and I got this other ZEN program with it. I never heard of it, nor was it ever suggested before. It appears to be some kind of program to "extend" protection to other computers on your network. I don't have a network and don't think I will anytime in the near future. It shows up as a separate program on the program uninstall section of Control Panel. So I'm now wondering if I could uninstall this ZEN thing. Have to admit, it's getting more frustrating all the time. Anyone else get this or did I do something wrong?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Update:
    I really don't like this new thing of AVG forcing it's ZEN program on you for 30 days! I don't need it and I hope it uninstalls itself or at least allows me to uninstall it when that 30 days is up. I tried to uninstall it and couldn't, that is without uninstalling the whole antivirus program too! This is the first time AVG has done something like this as far as I know. I didn't see any opt out thing for that ZEN program. Guess I should have waited longer before updating.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fascist Nation View Post
    I don't want to activate it. They ask for your email address, want you to set up an account, and you have to pay an undisclosed amount of money. I don't need it, and just want the Antivirus.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    I already went there and it turned out to be the 2015 version which I already have. I want the 2016 version without the Zen program (if that's even possible). It's looking like it's not. Thanks anyway, I thought I was going to get the 2016 version from that site too.

Thanks
    Reposted from less appropriate closed thread.

http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...=1#post1041952
    Quote Originally Posted by bobprimak View Post

When a scan is initiated, Custom Scan settings (the Gear Icons next to the Scan Type) will allow a detailed Report with all kinds of notifications, to be generated and displayed when the scan finishes. By clicking on the Details tab in the displayed Scan Report, it is possible to see exactly what is proposed to be removed and otherwise acted upon. Then a right-click on one or a selected group of detections can show three options, one of which is to Allow the items detected. To be able to do this, when setting up the scan with the Custom Options, DO NOT check off the unchecked box about Automatically Heal detected items.
    Interesting. I have AVG paid (file version 2016.0.7357) and I do not have that option . In addition:
    One can not save exclusions to file scanning @ the scan result page. There is NO option for such! One must manually enter exclusions in at a settings page.
    from a chat session.

I should have mentioned that is AVG AV 2015,

Last edited by wavy; 2016-01-22 at 13:54.

No Zen on my version!
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I just installed the Free AVG 2016 and didn't get Zen although I did see it mentioned on one download site. I usually download using MajorGeeks.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Berton View Post
    I just installed the Free AVG 2016 and didn't get Zen although I did see it mentioned on one download site. I usually download using MajorGeeks.
    Maybe that's the problem - I downloaded what was indicated to be the AVG Free 2016 Antivirus from the AVG Website - http://free.avg.com/us-en/free-downloads#tba1 What I got was the AVG Free 2016 Antivirus, + Zen 30 day trial. I saw no mention of the Zen program attached to it on that site. Thanks for the reply, at least now I know that if I look hard and long enough, I can maybe find just the AVG Free 2016 AV program without Zen. Hopefully Zen will go away after the 30 days like they say. If I can trust What they say.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CEScott View Post
    Maybe that's the problem - I downloaded what was indicated to be the AVG Free 2016 Antivirus from the AVG Website - http://free.avg.com/us-en/free-downloads#tba1 What I got was the AVG Free 2016 Antivirus, + Zen 30 day trial. I saw no mention of the Zen program attached to it on that site. Thanks for the reply, at least now I know that if I look hard and long enough, I can maybe find just the AVG Free 2016 AV program without Zen. Hopefully Zen will go away after the 30 days like they say. If I can trust What they say.
    I downloaded the "offline" installers for AVG2016Free from: http://www.avg.com/ww-en/download.prd-afh-free

AVG AntiVirus Free (32bit) "AVG_Antivirus_Free_x86_694.exe" (205MB).

AVG AntiVirus Free (64bit) "AVG_Antivirus_Free_x64_693.exe" (225MB).

When you run setup don't click the large "Continue" button, rather click the "Custom installation" link just below the "Continue" button then choose the "Basic protection" option rather than the "Full protection" option.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Coochin View Post
    I downloaded the "offline" installers for AVG2016Free from: http://www.avg.com/ww-en/download.prd-afh-free

AVG AntiVirus Free (32bit) "AVG_Antivirus_Free_x86_694.exe" (205MB).

AVG AntiVirus Free (64bit) "AVG_Antivirus_Free_x64_693.exe" (225MB).

When you run setup don't click the large "Continue" button, rather click the "Custom installation" link just below the "Continue" button then choose the "Basic protection" option rather than the "Full protection" option.
    Thanks for that info. I've been to this site and downloaded the 64 bit version only to find out that it was the 2015 version! It looks to me like these people need to get their website updated. I had no trouble updating from AVG Free 2014 to 2015. I even saved the install program for 2015. But things are not the same now.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I downloaded the AVG AntiVirus Free (64bit) AVG_Antivirus_Free_x64_693.exe from the link you gave and when I went to the properties of the file, this is what I saw:

AVG Props snip.jpg

Is this what you got? Notice the 2015 dates and reference to Internet Security System. Will this install AVG Free 2016? I'm hoping it will, but wanted to be sure.

Thanks.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CEScott View Post
    ...Is this what you got? Notice the 2015 dates and reference to Internet Security System...
    It seems AVG has released updated versions of the installers but has not changed the downloads' file names (???).

I downloaded the "AVG_Antivirus_Free_x64_693.exe" and "AVG_Antivirus_Free_x86_694.exe" installers in October 2015, and have checked regularly since for newer versions but assumed that because the filenames had not changed there were no newer versions.

Good-on-yer AVG.

Screenshot of Properties\Details for "AVG_Antivirus_Free_x64_693.exe" from October 2015:

AVGx64_693_OCT15.jpg

I have downloaded the new versions and will test them on my workbench PCs later tonight, and will post back with results.
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

Thanks
    Check the driver dates (Modified dates) with DriverView. 2016 drivers would have been released from about the previous August onwards, with a new OS out, that might be earlier this time around.

Thanks
    Further to my #13 post I have run the newer "AVG_Antivirus_Free_x64_693.exe" and "AVG_Antivirus_Free_x86_694.exe" installers on my workbench PCs with the following insights.

In neither case did the installer attempt to install "ZEN" BUT (see below).

After you run the installer (either 32bit or 64bit) the first screen you see should be as in this screenshot:

AVG2016FreeInst.jpg

Do not click the large "Continue" button (red arrow), rather click the small "Custom installation" (green arrow" link just below the "Continue" button.

AVG2016FreeInst_1.jpg

In the next dialog click on the "Basic protection" option button to select it (green arrow).
    AVG2016 should then install over your previous version of AVG (free).

After the installation has completed you might see a pop-up in the notification area as below:

AVG2016FreeInst_2.jpg

I recommend you should un-tick both checkboxes then click the "Decline" link (green arrows) rather than the somewhat more attractive and larger "OK" button. Believe me you don't want anything from ask.com on your computer.

Once the installation is finished you should see:

AVG2016FreeInst_3.jpg

Ohterwise you might have to reboot your computer to allow AVG to properly upgrade itself.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Coochin For This Useful Post:

CEScott (2016-01-27),satrow (2016-03-29)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast