Thanks

Last call for Windows 7: Microsoft's transitional list includes over 100 Skylake PCs

I found this interesting because Dell is saying that they will support the skylake w/win 7/8.1 after the 18 months that MS said is the cutoff.
    http://www.pcworld.com/article/30257...tml#tk.rss_all

Neither HP nor Lenovo makes any provisions for Microsoft’s decision to terminate support in 18 months. But Dell’s page notes that the company will “continue to provide ‘best effort’ support for Skylake systems with Win 7/8.1 through [Dell’s] ProSupport service.”

Dell didn’t respond to our requests for clarification by press time on what this actually means. But for many, the issue boils down to this: Microsoft will end its support for Broadwell PCs on Windows 7 in 2020. But support for Windows 7 PCs running on top of Skylake will end “early,” in 2017—and that, to many, is just unfair. Dell may try to soften that unexpectedly hard landing.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    ProSupport means expensive subscription and best effort means no guarantees.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    ProSupport means expensive subscription and best effort means no guarantees.
    Yup, could be a money maker especially since HP and Lenovo will only follow MS direction. Looks like I won't be getting anything with a skylake CPU for some time.

Thanks
    If you do get one I'll trade you my Devil's Canyon for it!
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wavy View Post
    If you do get one I'll trade you my Devil's Canyon for it!
    Gosh, what a deal

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    So does this mean that if one was to purchase a Skylake CPU and a compatible 1151 aftermarket mobo, and assemble a new rig around them, you won't be able to run Win 7 on it? Only Win 10?

rstew

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    Microsoft has already extended the non-critical Skylake support till July 17, 2018 and has also stated that Skylake users will continue to receive critical security updates for Windows 7 and 8.1 on Skylake until the end of extended support for those OSs.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]