5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Task Manager display puzzle

A few minutes after booting up my laptop it is still very busy and slow to respond so this time I opened the Task Manager. I found that the hard drive was running at 100% and it stayed that way for several minutes more. I sorted on that column so I could see which programs were using it the most and found a puzzling situation. The items listed added up to only a very few percentage points but the column heading was still reading 100%. I'll include a screen shot to illustrate. What kinds of things would be using the hard drive but not show in the Task Manager? Does the this situation sound normal?

Thanks,
    Bill
    Attached Images Attached Images

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    The individual tasks show the transfer rate not the utilization percentage. You need to know the transfer rate of the disk subsystem and the disk drive to know how to relate it to the tasks.

Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, I see that in the units shown by the numbers now that you mention it! Is it pretty normal to have the limiting factor be the hard drive during boot up and for some time after the PC appears to be running normally?

Thanks,
    Bill

Thanks
    It looks to me like a PC in need of a bit of a tweaking, meaning, you might have more hefty start up applications & services than need be.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'll review what is starting up and see what I can take out of the process. I may have some questions after look at them!

Thanks,
    Bill

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Try Process Monitor to show exactly what process is using the disk.
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/...ssmonitor.aspx

cheers, Paul

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BillWilson View Post
    Yes, I see that in the units shown by the numbers now that you mention it!
    If you right-click on the column contents you can change the Resource values for Disk from Values to Percents.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BruceR For This Useful Post:

access-mdb (2016-01-25),CLiNT (2016-01-25),scaisson (2016-01-28),Trev (2016-01-29)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, BruceR, on the tip.
    I also turn on Disk Write, Disk Read, Network Receive, and Network Send columns.
    Amazing!
    For my SSD Win7x64Hm laptop, the system DiskWrite is 15MBytes and growing! DiskRead is 6MB. MS Security Essentials is 6MB DiskWrite.
    My 2 networked IP cams (1 pic/sec each) constantly DiskWrite, and have huge network traffic, much more than Firefox.

Upon digging, most are written to system Temp folder (%System%\Temp).

Lucky me.
    I setup 1G Dram as ramdisk for system temp folder. (I have only 6G Dram (max limit by the laptop). I leave 5G for the OS.) And IP cam portable program is in the RamDisk itself.

I'd worry at that many writes to SSD. And am I doing? Only read WinSecrets online. The laptop is only on for 2 hours.

Side note:
    If Windows needs more write, it can write to C-drive Temp folder. Also, it can overflow to pagefile in C-drive.
    Usually Win7 populates Dram with all of your most used programs (from sampling your daily use), until Dram is full, if you have that many frequently used programs.
    You can look at that after PC boots up and idles. In my case, Dram is not full.
    So the writing-to-disk must be work of the day.
    Programs write many logs and records to many places, not just to Temp folder. For example, MS Essentials write to AppData folder, etc.

Network Receive and Write columns present an easy way to ID call-home programs at a glance. Of course, some network traffics are local nets (such as my IP cam). But you can see that.

Now I can spot suspicious call-home at a glance.
    (Update-check traffic is quite brief. Need monitoring to catch it.)

Thanks again BruceR.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    If you right-click on the column contents you can change the Resource values for Disk from Values to Percents.
    Hey, that is great! I like the percent better.

Thanks,
    Bill

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Does the this situation sound normal?
    Yes, I find slow startups to be extremely common. Not good but common.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BHarder View Post
    Yes, I find slow startups to be extremely common. Not good but common.
    I was hoping for the opposite with a way to speed it up but I guess I can't do anything except look for little improvements.

Thanks,
    Bill

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Have you used Autoruns or WhatInStartup to check and manage what is started when you boot the system?

Autoruns displays an enormous amount of information. Initially, you should be concerned with the Logon tab.

Use "Run as Administrator" with both programs if you intend to make changes to your startup items as you'll be modifying the registry with these tools.

Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the reminder about those utilities and the links to them. I'll use them to examine my startup in more detail.

Bill