Thread: Star Trek DVD

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Star Trek DVD

Greetings All -

I have a Dell Laptop that I recently updated to WIN 10 Pro. It's my experimental system, serving as my education tool for the new operating system. Hopefully I'll have most of the peculiarities solved before upgrading my main system. One of the programs I installed on the laptop was VLC Media Player. I've been experimenting with it as a replacement for WMP. The laptop also came with Power DVD on it which survived the upgrade to WIN 10. I've also tried the WIN 10 DVD player that installed with WIN 10.

All of these programs have successfully played DVDs--and still do--except for a single Star Trek DVD. VLC and the WIN 10 player just sit there, and Power DVD says, "Loading," and sits there. Other movies seem to play just fine, and the Star Trek movie plays just fine on my main WIN 7 system using both VLC Player and WMP. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

Casey H.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Two possibilities. One is that the DVD may be scratched or marred in some way. A regular DVD player can sometimes read a DVD that a PC drive cannot. Try cleaning it well and polishing it with a soft cloth.

The other could be that the DVD is using some kind of copy protection that your software won't read. There was a period of time where some really radical copy protection software was being used that can even prevent some DVD players from reading the disk.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gsmith-plm For This Useful Post:

Casey H (2016-01-24),Fascist Nation (2016-01-24)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    One other thought, could the disc be from out-of-country or that the Region Code isn't correct for it? It's my understanding the Region Code can be changed a few times but for the US the last change needs to be 1 and can't be further changed.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Casey H View Post
    ...the Star Trek movie plays just fine on my main WIN 7 system using both VLC Player and WMP...
    That the Star Trek DVD plays on your Win7 system but not on the Win10 laptop suggests to me a codec problem (or missing codec).

Install the "K-Lite MEGA Codec Pack" from http://www.free-codecs.com/download/...Codec_Pack.htm then try again (includes "Media Player Classic", a very good player).
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Coochin For This Useful Post:

Casey H (2016-01-24),Fascist Nation (2016-01-24)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Forgot to ask, do you by any chance have something like AnyDVD installed on the Win7 machine? That would permit it to read a DVD that has something like Macrovision copy protection.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks everybody. I'll try the K-Lite pack and see where it gets me. Question: do the codecs get installed with the player (VLC) or are they part of the Windows installation. I installed VLC on both machines using the same installer. The only difference I can see is Win 7 Pro versus Win 10 Pro. As far as I can tell it's only this one DVD that won't play, although by no means have I tried several. There have been no other DVD players installed on either system. I have always used WMP. The recent VLC addition to the WIN 7 system is in preparation for the eventual upgrade to WIN 10.

Casey H.

Thanks
    Computer CD/DVD burners can be notoriously whimsical when it comes to reading or playing DVD movies.
    Not all burners are the same, age & wear can be major factors as well, not to mention wear on the DVD discs themselves.

I also recommend cleaning the laser frequently with a laser disc cleaner, and clean the DVD disc with warm soap and water.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Where WMP is concerned, I found this article useful in fixing a music CD that wouldn't play for me.

http://www.free-codecs.com/microsoft...t_download.htm

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Casey H View Post
    ...Question: do the codecs get installed with the player (VLC) or are they part of the Windows installation...
    Media-player programs generally install any codecs they need if not already present. However, as with any software, there can be bugs found as time goes by so it is a good idea to install updated codecs periodically, which is why I like the K-Lite pack.
    Computer Consultant/Technician since 1998 (first PC was Atari 1040STE in 1988).
    Most common computing error is EBKAC: Error Between Keyboard And Chairback
    AMD FX8120 (8-core @ 3.1GHz) CPU, Gigabyte GA-990FXA-D3 motherboard, 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz RAM, ATI-AMD Radeon HD6770 PCI-E VGA, 480GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate SATA3.0 HDD, ASUS DVD/RW.