5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Why is Windows Defender Running on my PC?

I was transferring a bunch of archived files today when Bitdefender popped up and told there was a virus. Then Windows Defender popped up with the same issue.

I would have assumed that when Bitdefender was installed, it would have turned Defender off, since I don't need two things doing the same job. So, I went to settings and turned it off - but it won't stay off. I says right in the settings that you can only turn it off temporarily. After a while, it will turn itself back on.

WTF??? What's the logic behind that? Is this yet another bit of MS arrogance in Win10? Or is Defender doing something that Bitdefender isn't? And if so, why did they both find the same problem in the same file?
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    You can turn off WD in Win 10 either with the Group Policy Editor if it is enabled in your version of Win 10, or you can do it via the Registry by changing the DWORD value.

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5...dows-10-a.html

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sudo15 View Post
    You can turn off WD in Win 10 either with the Group Policy Editor if it is enabled in your version of Win 10, or you can do it via the Registry by changing the DWORD value.
    Thanks, I was aware of those, but I think I'm more interested in why this is happening. Not everyone out there is willing to dink around with Regedit or GPE, so the real question is, why is Defender still running on a machine with a full commercial AV system running? I'm reasonably certain that this was not an issue in Win 8 and I know it's not an issue in Win 7.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Lounger
    Thanks
    It's important to run antispyware software whenever you're using your computer.If you don't activate antivirus program, and defender don’t automatically enable itself again, you’re left unprotected from malware. And that's not a good thing.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Panda 2016 seems to have turned it off on my laptop.

cheers, Paul

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tchan View Post
    It's important to run antispyware software whenever you're using your computer.If you don't activate antivirus program, and defender don’t automatically enable itself again, you’re left unprotected from malware. And that's not a good thing.
    Bitdefender IS anti-virus software and should take the place of Defender.

There would seem to be something odd going on because after yesterdays Defender update, the Settings are now greyed out and Defender isn't showing in the system tray or task list. I'm wondering if a prior update had turned it on even though Bitdefender was running and the one yesterday turned it off again.

Speaking of updates, the Update process ran on my computer without asking yesterday despite the fact that it is set (via Group Policy) to only notify.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You should ask Bitdefender for its normal behavior of the installation. My understanding is Windows Defender runs without issue with other AV apps running from startup. But I could be wrong.

Secondly what version of Win10? If Home you have no update options. With Win10 Pro you have a 30 day delay option on some upgrades. With Enterprise I'd be ticked.

Your option settings being altered by MS on updates? What a shocker that would be.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    From what I can see on the interweb and without digging throuht their forum or reverting to a prior image to test, Bitdefender should turn off WDefender.

This is Win10Pro(64) and updates should ask before updating and upgrades should be deferred. Why they suddenly chose to run on their own is anyone's guess. It's possible that Defender updates are outside the normal path, but I don't think so.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware

Thanks
    Windows 10 Pro won't defer updates by default. The following is a good description of the possible ways to control Windows update on Window 10:
    http://www.howtogeek.com/224471/how-...ading-updates/

Jerry

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    Windows 10 Pro won't defer updates by default. The following is a good description of the possible ways to control Windows update on Window 10:
    Sorry Jerry, but I'm not sure how that fits into the issue of Defender running when a full AV is installed.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware

Thanks
    It is in response to:
    This is Win10Pro(64) and updates should ask before updating and upgrades should be deferred. Why they suddenly chose to run on their own is anyone's guess. It's possible that Defender updates are outside the normal path, but I don't think so.
    Jerry

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Jerry, I had previously modified the Group Policy to set Updates to ask before downloading or installing, so it should not have done anything without my knowing it.
    Quote Originally Posted by gsmith-plm View Post
    Speaking of updates, the Update process ran on my computer without asking yesterday despite the fact that it is set (via Group Policy) to only notify.
    Never-the-less, in this case, the updates ran without asking, so when I shut off the computer, they started installing. The fact that I was having problems with Defender running when it should not have me wondering if a prior update went astray and overrode some settings.

It seems to be back to normal now. Defender is off and Updates tell me there's something ready to download, but it has not downloaded or installed.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware