Lounger
    Thanks

Question Cannot create recovery drive in Windows 10

I downloaded the mediacreationtool.exe and created an install CD for Windows 10 without difficulty. I found the Windows 10 product key using Belarc advisor. Very handy

For recovery purposes I read the article here: http://windowssecrets.com/top-story/...ecovery-drive/ to ensure I can recover from an error.

But when I try to create the recovery drive using USB ... it fails. It fails apparently trying to copy the system files every time.

I found that there are many others with the same problem:
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...dc29be9?page=1

There doesn't appear to be a solution.

Has anyone created a recovery drive on a USB as discussed in the Windows Secrets article and if so ... how?

Lounger
    Thanks
    After reading some issues with the size of the USB drive on other sites, I tried an old external drive that I have for exchanging large files. Its 250 GB or rather was.

Amazing. It worked!

It was now formatted by the recovery drive program as a FAT32 31.9 GB drive and voila ... it worked even though only 4.1 GB of data was written to it.

It seemed to be stalling writing system backup files as on both drives I tried, it created the boot files.

My other 32 GB drive that failed was showing as 29.8 GB when formatted. So if anyone else has this issue my suggestion is get a bigger USB drive.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Suggest you placing your system in Clean Boot state helps in identifying if any third party applications or startup items are causing the issue.

If issue still persists, try to run a System File Checker (SFC) scan to check for any file corruption. SFC scan will scan for corrupt system files on the computer and repair them.
    Press Windows key + X, click Command Prompt (Admin).
    In the Command Prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:
    sfc /scannow

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    We have had other reports of USB sticks not being big enough. 32GB seems to be the minimum.

Many here are using 3rd party backup apps to create images and backup data. Aomei Backupper looks to be the most feature rich free program and is easy to use IMO.

cheers, Paul