New Lounger
    Thanks

Win 10' lost' settings

Hi all, I am a reluctant up-grader, and as I have two computers, I thought I would try the Insider Programme on one to see how it goes.

To tell the truth I have not been overwhelmed with the 10 experience and not paid it as much attention as I should being quite satisfied with the 7 on the other.
    Anyway, I decoded that I would make a concerted effort to work with 10 and have been wrestling with it for two days.
    I see that it has not updated from the original release and I can't find any way of getting to see the windows update settings - or any other settings for that matter. a search returns EXPLORER.EXE Element not found. for pretty much any attempt I make to get into the works of it. It is essentially useless.

My question is would it be better to kill it all and return to 8.1 and start again or persevere with the faults that I have? Are there any licensing issues to wiping it and starting again from the fresh 8.0 install that I have?
    Would the sign-in credentials that I have made with the Insider version work with a new install or is it really back to square one?

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    What version are you running?
    Can you download the most current version? See the link at the bottom of Get Windows 10 to use the media creation tool.

Joe

Thanks
    My question is would it be better to kill it all and return to 8.1 and start again or persevere with the faults that I have? Are there any licensing issues to wiping it and starting again from the fresh 8.0 install that I have?
    That'll will be your choice, you can revert back to W8.1.

I see that it has not updated from the original release and I can't find any way
    of getting to see the windows update settings - or any other settings for that matter
    To get to Windows Update, click on the "all settings" in the notification box to the lower right of the screen, or "settings" icon on the start menu.
    Then go to "Update & Security". Click on "check for updates".

If you truly wanted to make a concerted effort you're not doing a terrible good job of it...
    The internet is FULL of Windows 10 how-tos and the lounge itself offers tons of info in the stickies & the Windows 10 forum.

If your insider program OS became corrupted you might consider resetting.
    But it's hard to see how if you haven't done anything with it.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2016-01-24 at 19:56.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, thank you for that enthusiastic response.
    I have yet to find any references about how to deal with re-setting a non-existent 'Settings'. Which was why I asked for help. As I mentioned, All Settings, update and the like are not present. All attempts to access are met with "Element not found".
    I was more interested in the licensing aspect.
    However, Thanks anyway, I have decided to wipe the disc and re-install W8 and start again taking my chances with the license validity.

Thanks
    It looks to me like you let your Windows 10 preview expire.

What to do if it expires?

Users that are experiencing problems installing the latest build through Windows Update are advised to download the latest ISO file, double-click to mount it and then launch setup.exe. If Windows stops booting because it has expired, users are advised to download the ISO file on another computer, transfer it to a USB flash drive or DVD and boot the PC from this media
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.