Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Firefox now opens new instances

For some reason I cannot fathom, Firefox has started opening a separate instance each time I click on it's taskbar icon.

This is a Win7(64) computer and up until this morning (I think), when Firefox was opened from the taskbar, that icon would highlight and clicking it again would expand or minimize Firefox. Today, clicking Firefox puts a new highlighted icon on the toolbar and clicking the original opens yet another instance. This behavior is counter to the way Win7 is supposed to do things and is certainly not the way anything else works.

It's behaving as if I had pressed Ctrl-N instead of clicking on the shortcut.

I'm kind of stumped as to what to look at to see what may have caused this change. To my knowledge, I have changed absolutely nothing in the recent past that could have anything to do with this. Nor has Firefox been updated recently.

Anyone seen this happen?
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Thanks
    Do you not get a FX 'slide up' for the open browser when you hover the pointer over the Tasbar icon?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by satrow View Post
    Do you not get a FX 'slide up' for the open browser when you hover the pointer over the Tasbar icon?
    Nope. Clicking on the taskbar icon generates a new icon off to the right. It doesn't even stackup the open instances the way I would expect to see if there were multiple instances of the same program open. It's got me stumped.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Thanks
    Have you tried unpinning and then repinning the icon?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by satrow View Post
    Have you tried unpinning and then repinning the icon?
    Yup.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    This is similar to Satrow's suggestion but involves pinning/unpinning. (I got this from https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/867708) (underline added)

"After you click on Firefox in taskbar and a new instance appears, right-click the original instance and select unpin from the taskbar, then right-click on the instance still open (the 2d instance) and pin to taskbar. Close Firefox and click on the icon in the taskbar and smile at the results "

Worked for me. Good luck

7. The Following User Says Thank You to curious For This Useful Post:

gsmith-plm (2016-01-25)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by curious View Post
    ...then right-click on the instance still open (the 2d instance) and pin to taskbar.
    Well, I'll be darned - that works. Makes no sense but it works.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I spoke too soon. After rebooting my computer this morning, it no longer works. What that trick seems to do is to create a shortcut for a session/instance. I don't know what that means but it sounds really good so I'm sticking with it for now.

SO..., any other ideas out there?
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gsmith-plm View Post
    I spoke too soon. After rebooting my computer this morning, it no longer works. What that trick seems to do is to create a shortcut for a session/instance. I don't know what that means but it sounds really good so I'm sticking with it for now.

SO..., any other ideas out there?
    Sorry about your problem. If you do find out what caused it I would love to know how to replicate it!

David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wavy View Post
    If you do find out what caused it I would love to know how to replicate it!
    I've said it before and I'll say it again, the only computer that will never screw up on you is the one that you never touch.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by curious View Post
    This is similar to Satrow's suggestion but involves pinning/unpinning. <snip>
    I still couldn't find anything on the interweb so I looked back at this and decided to try it again but with a twist of lemon and a splash of soda...

I deleted the icon from the quick-start taskbar. Opened Firefox from the start menu, then pinned THAT instance to the quick-start bar. It seemed to work so I rebooted to make sure and it's still working. Very, very strange.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Ordinary humans would call that a bug.

The programmers that wrote it would say it was a "NABWAD" (Not A Bug Working As Designed). Maybe so, but that just means the design was bad.

As I have said many times here, there and everywhere, "Stop updating software that is working well". To state it another way - if it ain't broke don't fix it.

You want proof? Read Susan Bradley's Patch Watch columns right here on Windows secrets.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I think that something is screwed up in the registry or somewhere. I experimented with this some more once I was sure I could fix it and here is what I found.

The original solution was to start it from the taskbar, then delete that icon and pin the open session to the taskbar. When I did that, what I found pinned to the taskbar is Firefox (2). If I try and remove the (2), it tells me that there is already something with that name on the taskbar. Exactly what that indicates is not for me to say.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    gsmith-plm - do you have a Ctrl- stroke trapped somehow?

I value the Sticky Keys feature of Windows, much the easiest way of handling Caps. However, if I trap, and don't use, a Ctrl- stroke, then Windows will do exactly what you have described.

Thanks
    All of the below can be done either en mass or just for one icon

Users --> [user] --> AppData --> Roaming --> Microsoft --> Internet Explorer --> Quick Launch --> User Pinned --> Taskbar is where all the action is - behind the scenes.
    In the User Pinned directory, make a directory called TaskbarPinFromHere; and Copy all icons [shortcuts] that you will want to Pin to the Taskbar. This is going to sound crazy, but it worked for me really well!
    Move icons from Taskbar directory [the ones without the (2) or (3) or (4) etc in their shortcut name] over into your TaskbarPinFromHere and delete the remaining icons.
    On your taskbar, remove all the "colorless orderless pictureless" icons. From your TaskbarPinFromHere directory, right-click and click on Pin To Taskbar.
    After all of that, you now have a directory from which you can reconstruct any troublesome icon[s] -- from TaskbarPinFromHere.

You cannot Pin To Taskbar from the Taskbar directory -- that approach will cause problems.

By the way, I am not at all talking about the Taskbar Icon Notification section!
    That is a separate subject all-together.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast