New Lounger
    Thanks

VLC will read .wav metadata, WMP/WMC will not? Why not? Can I make it so?

I recently ripped all my CDs to wave files onto an external drive. Now I can hear all my collection and, with VLC it's great. All the songs play with album art & info. It's the best sound possible. The problem is, when I tried to make that drive a searched folder in Media Player or Media Center, all I get is UNKNOWN artist, album. Only song title.

The thing I like about Media Center is I can look at photos and listen to music, search for artist, song, etcetera, really easily, using the remote. But without the metadata... UNKNOWN? Not so good. Why can VLC do it and, so far, WMP/WMC can't? What have I done wrong? Can I fix this and remove all the .WMA files from my computer? That would make backups much faster (which was part of the idea).

I'd appreciate any info. Thanks in advance.

Thanks
    You might be able to do so by modifying some settings, but I have not tried this as I use Win Amp exclusively for music.
    http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/15693...dia-player-12/

Let us all know if it works.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, Clint. It doesn't work. I just get a 500 title unknown album, all the artists and albums mixed into one mess. Here's a pic of what I get. No way to use that method.wmp.jpg

Thanks
    I suggest you convert your WAV files to FLAC or a high quality variable bitrate MP3 format.
    Or use a 3rd party tool to add metadata to WAV files
    WMP may not be capable of accurately or consistently editing WAV metadata.

WAV & BWF Metadata Guide
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CLiNT View Post
    I suggest you convert your WAV files to FLAC or a high quality variable bitrate MP3 format.
    Or use a 3rd party tool to add metadata to WAV files
    WMP may not be capable of accurately or consistently editing WAV metadata.

WAV & BWF Metadata Guide
    I already have converted them. Now I want the purer sound, deeper. The VCL player reads them. Anyway, I found I can get WMP to recognize them but only by adding one album at a time to the library. A dreary prospect.

Thanks
    That's WMP for you.
    I would be hard pressed if were any serious audiophiles out there that would recommend WMP for much of anything.
    DRIVE IMAGING

Latest Build:

7. The Following User Says Thank You to CLiNT For This Useful Post:

PX Fragonard (2016-01-25)

Thanks
    I've just converted one track to .wav and it shows the album art. It's not in the correct folder with the original song, but WMP found it and showed it as an extra track with WAV on the album.

I suppose it might depend on how you ripped it as a .wav - I used Audacity.

Mind you, it took a while to find, I had saved it without an extension!

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by access-mdb View Post
    I've just converted one track to .wav and it shows the album art. It's not in the correct folder with the original song, but WMP found it and showed it as an extra track with WAV on the album.

I suppose it might depend on how you ripped it as a .wav - I used Audacity.

Mind you, it took a while to find, I had saved it without an extension!
    I used Easy-CD-DA Extractor to rip. As I said, it shows fine in VLC, not in WMP/WMC. As I said above, I can rip single songs or albums but I'm not going to spend that much time on it. I'll just use VLC. Thanks.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CLiNT View Post
    That's WMP for you.
    I would be hard pressed if were any serious audiophiles out there that would recommend WMP for much of anything.
    That's true! It's just convenient, with the remote control and all. Anyway, thanks, Clint.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I use MediaMonkey to rip all my CDs to FLAC and add cover art etc. It also sorts them and allows me to sync to external devices, for the car / phone / ipad etc.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    I use MediaMonkey to rip all my CDs to FLAC and add cover art etc. It also sorts them and allows me to sync to external devices, for the car / phone / ipad etc.

cheers, Paul
    That was not the question. I am not interestied in FLAC.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    MM supports wav files too.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Try WMPCDText.

Hope this helps...

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Rick Corbett For This Useful Post:

PX Fragonard (2016-01-28)

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Corbett View Post
    Try WMPCDText.

Hope this helps...
    Thanks, Rick, My WMP does recognize CD tracks after a second or so. I'm wary of 3rd party downloads. I'll research it though. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Corbett View Post
    Try WMPCDText.

Hope this helps...
    I set a restore point, then downloaded, installed, and ran it. I tried it small scale. Maybe it works for CDs but it didn't work with the wave files I put into the library. But I'll try it another day with better-known stuff. I started with a CD a friend of mine made and he's not so well known, though it's in the database if you type in his name. I'm not gonna do that 500 times! Anyway, I'm sort of getting used to the idea of using VLC and giving up. Cheers.