Star Lounger
    Thanks

Server hard drive continues to run out of space

I have a Dell Poweredge T110 Tower Server running Win server 2008 R2. It has a 146 GB hard drive split in 2. The Primary C drive has about 43GB and the secondary partition has around 100 GB. No matter what I do, I can not get the primary partition (C) to free up memory. The secondary partition is fine with no space issues.
    I removed all kinds of programs and deleted files all to no avail. I ran a virus check but it didn't turn up anything. Any thoughts about where I can look for what files are eating up the space?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Have you checked for bad sectors?
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    One little 'trick' I use with 2 HDDs that helps free up storage space is to change the Virtual Memory [paging file] to 2GB on the boot/OS drive then put a larger paging file on the second HDD, most times it's 2GB on C: and 12GB on D: when having 8GB RAM and using the 1.5 times RAM as seen in Windows Help and Support. The only reason I leave some on the C: drive is some programs look for it there for their install routine.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gsmith-plm View Post
    Have you checked for bad sectors?

Thanks for the reply. I have not been able to find any way to check for bad sectors. None of the system tools on the computer have that capability. How would you suggest I check?
    I did run the disk defrager. It showed 43% fragmented. I could not get it any better than that .

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    If you have System Restore turned on check its settings.

Have you run disk cleanup clean up system files such as patch backup files?

Joe

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Use TeeeSize free to find what is taking up all the space.
    https://www.jam-software.com/treesize_free/

cheers, Paul

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

Fascist Nation (2016-01-28)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Joe P - you sound as if you may be having the same issue as I have. Running Windows Home Server 2011 (SP1) on a HP Proliant Server, the OS is on the C: partition, and uses about 30 GB of a 60 GB partition on a 466 GB drive, the main data storage is on a separate 2 TB drive.

From time to time, Windows Update fails, citing "Disk Full". And indeed, Windows Explorer shows red for C:, all space used. If I go to C:\Windows\Temp, and clear all the stuff there - Ctrl-A, delete - I get back to about 29 GB free. But this happens again and again.

Have you tried this, Joe P?

Do I have any alternative to doing this manually, periodically?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    If you have System Restore turned on check its settings.

Have you run disk cleanup clean up system files such as patch backup files?

Joe
    JoeP517 - yes, you have it. Further to my earlier post (#7), Disk Cleanup (find it from the Search line on the Start Menu) found more garbage, and removed it, another 1 GB or so, per Windows Explorer.

Thanks.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnFleming View Post
    Joe P - you sound as if you may be having the same issue as I have. Running Windows Home Server 2011 (SP1) on a HP Proliant Server, the OS is on the C: partition, and uses about 30 GB of a 60 GB partition on a 466 GB drive, the main data storage is on a separate 2 TB drive.

From time to time, Windows Update fails, citing "Disk Full". And indeed, Windows Explorer shows red for C:, all space used. If I go to C:\Windows\Temp, and clear all the stuff there - Ctrl-A, delete - I get back to about 29 GB free. But this happens again and again.

I went through and found a lot of temp files and deleted them. That got me around 3.6GB back. While that is better, and it gives me some breathing room. I still need to figure out what is sucking up the space.
    Thanks for that tip. Yes, our servers are configured the same way. The C drive is for the OS. The Server is 5 years old now and I am looking into moving to a cloud based system for my business. I am hoping to keep it going at least for this year.
    To answer the other question, yes I ran the disk cleanup program and it did help, but only to remove files that were of little significance from a space perspective.
    One other thing I noticed is that the drive compression box and the index boxes are not checked in the C; Properties. Would that help? I have always heard not to compress the drive.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
    I have not been able to find any way to check for bad sectors.
    I assume you are logged into the server as the administrator. If you want to go old-school, you can use check disk (chkdsk.exe) but...

Open Windoze Explorer and right click on the drive and get properties. There should be a Tools Tab and on that should be an item labeled Error Checking. Make sure no one is using the server when you do this.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    I went through and found a lot of temp files and deleted them. That got me around 3.6GB back. While that is better, and it gives me some breathing room. I still need to figure out what is sucking up the space.
    Thanks for that tip. Yes, our servers are configured the same way. The C drive is for the OS. The Server is 5 years old now and I am looking into moving to a cloud based system for my business. I am hoping to keep it going at least for this year.
    To answer the other question, yes I ran the disk cleanup program and it did help, but only to remove files that were of little significance from a space perspective.
    One other thing I noticed is that the drive compression box and the index boxes are not checked in the C; Properties. Would that help? I have always heard not to compress the drive.
    Unless you run disk cleanup as administrator you need to click on the "Clean up system files" button after the initial scan to get it to scan for patch backups and other system files. If you haven't deleted patch backup files there should be a fairly significant amount space to be recovered by deleting them.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a Dell Poweredge T110 Tower Server running Win server 2008 R2. It has a 146 GB hard drive split in 2. The Primary C drive has about 43GB and the secondary partition has around 100 GB. No matter what I do, I can not get the primary partition (C) to free up memory. The secondary partition is fine with no space issues.
    I removed all kinds of programs and deleted files all to no avail. I ran a virus check but it didn't turn up anything. Any thoughts about where I can look for what files are eating up the space?
    You don't say what servers/applications your are running (Exchange, SQL Server, etc) but if you are not running backups that process/truncate logs via a full VSS backup, you can accumulate a lot. Also, WSUS (if you are using it can get very large and should probably be moved.
    Just a guess, since you don't say what servers you are running, if any.
    To see/control what is where and how much, I use a file manager (other than Windows Explorer) that subtotals usage by directory.

Lou

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I recommend Check Disk. It does everything needed, has been around a long time, and is very reliable.

From an Admin level command prompt:

ChkDsk C: /R /X /V
    Normally this will queue up the run for the next system restart and you should allow it to do so. It's not just about users connected to the server--Windows itself establishes file locks all over the place, and the fewer of those that exist during the disk testing, the better.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to BHarder For This Useful Post:

Fascist Nation (2016-01-28)

Thanks
    I don't see why a batchfile couldn't solve this.
    You can create one and add it to your toolbox for periodic maintenance cycles.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.