3 Star Lounger Not Brightest Bulb's Avatar
    Thanks

Need new firewall

Just found out my Agnitum Outpost firewall is being discontinued and got the offer below.

At the end of last year Agnitum software technology was acquired by Yandex. The company’s technologies will now be used to protect users of Yandex Browser.

Agnitum terminates direct and partner sales of the Outpost product line. However, the company continues to meet its commitments to existing customers. Agnitum will provide antivirus base updates, bug fixing and technical support until December 31, 2016.

To ensure security of your computer, we encourage you to make use of a special offer. We offer all active Outpost license holders to exchange their Outpost licenses for Kaspersky Internet Security licenses free of charge. The migration offer is time limited. Visit the dedicated page to learn more about the migration program and exchange your license for free until February 17, 2016.

I have used Outpost firewall for years (just firewall) I went to Agnitum web site and it is a Kaspersky internet Suite.

I am interested in just a firewall, is the Windows firewall any good if not, any suggestions.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    If you have a router, the Windows firewall is a good replacement. Not as good as some paid for firewalls, especially in terms of user interface and the degree of control over the traffic that goes through, but good enough to provide security.

If you don't have a router, it's still good, but I would try a different firewall.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

Thanks
    You could give the free PrivateFirewall a try: http://www.privacyware.com/personal_firewall.html

4. The Following User Says Thank You to satrow For This Useful Post:

Not Brightest Bulb (2016-01-25)

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I use Panda AV and it has its own firewall. Seems OK.

cheers, Paul

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I've thought the Windows Firewall has been pretty good since Vista.

3 Star Lounger Not Brightest Bulb's Avatar
    Thanks
    Well I believe I will ride out Outpost till it quits and then already downloaded the "privatefirewall"

Actually some more opinions on Windows firewall would be helpful. As my name applies I am looking for simple. I do not do a bunch of online exploring, do not think I need high powered complicated firewall.

The one reason I stuck with Agnitum cause once installed it was not a pain in the butt type software.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Since XP SP2 all my customers and I myself use the stock Windows firewall(s) ONLY. No problems whatsoever, absolutely no "configuration" necessary, it just works - since SP2...
    Eike J Heinze
    What I am about
    SE Wisconsin