New Lounger
    Thanks

This App cannot run on your PC

I upgraded my laptop from 32 bit Win 7 to Win 10 and American Heritage Dictionary ver 3 runs fine in Windows 10. My wife's newer laptop came with 64 bit Windows 10 installed. I cannot install or run this program and get the "This app cannot run on your pc". Is there some way to do this?

Thanks
    Its apparently a 16 bit app which is supported on 32 bit Windows but not 64 bit Windows.

Perhaps she could replace it with the Merriam Webster Dictionary app in the Windows Store. Its $4.99 and has a free trial.

Jerry

Thanks
    You might try installing Oracle Virtual Box. Once you have done that, you will need to install an OS inside of the virtual box which will be able to run the app.

Here's what I did not too long ago. A friend had a very old Greek and Hebrew Bible study program he was trying to run under Windows 8.1 64-bit. It wouldn't install, no matter what I did -- I tried Compatibility Mode, etc. So I downloaded and installed Oracle Virtual Box, and installed Windows 2000 as the OS of the virtual box. I was then able to successfully install and run the Greek and Hebrew program inside of the Virtual Box.

A virtual box is generically known as a "virtual machine". (Virtual Box is the name that Oracle uses for their virtual machine.) A virtual machine is simply a program which runs in Windows, which acts like a separate computer. In the example above, my friend had the equivalent of a Windows 2000 computer running as a program under Windows 8.1. As you can imagine, he can run all sorts of old software in the Windows 2000 virtual machine. In fact, that's one of the main reasons for a virtual machine -- so that you have a way of running old software, without having to keep an old computer around.
    Last edited by mrjimphelps; 2016-01-26 at 10:03.