NickRout

w97 auto insert page number

How do I get a template to automatically insert page numbers ONLY if the document becomes longer than 1 page. ie I want no page number on page 1. I don't think I can set up a second page header until its two pages long, ...

am i being perefectly clear?

Thanks

Re: w97 auto insert page number

You are clear and you can set up a second page header/footer in your template. For details see:
    http://www.addbalance.com/word/headersfooters.htm
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

[img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]When creating your template, put in a page break and set up your 2nd page footer. Once it's set, delete the page break. The header/footer remains and will be used if the document expands to more than one page.
    Karen

NickRout

thanks Charles, as a lawyer who is often frustrated by word, and by so called secretaries who do not know how to use their primary tool or trade, I found the reference to the word legal site extremely interesting! I mentioned it to my secretary a couple of minutes ago and she said "oh how interesting" in a sarcastic voice and went out to lunch. *sigh*.

Thanks

I am currently operating (sort of) without a secretary. It is a mixed bag. A friend of mine practices in a small town and his firm is blessed with wonderful secretaries, each of whom was valdictorian or salutorian of her high school class. They are very professional and care about clients. Had they not married and started raising families right out of high school they might well be lawyers now. I can't say that they made a bad choice.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

Thanks

You might want to take a look at my freeware letterhead system before you get too far into your project. It (and other stuff) can be downloaded from:
    http://www.addbalance.com/word/download/index.htm. I just finished smoothing out some of the rough edges and would welcome opinions.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

NickRout

Yeah, i'm not knocking my secretary, she is quite competent, but she still has that tendency to think of word as a glorified typewriter.

"Style?, don't you like my new hairdo?"

KTYorke

I say you get a machine to disguise your voice like Darth Vader and tell her that she "shouldn't underestimate the power of the style..." *heavy breathing* [img]/w3timages/icons/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/w3timages/icons/nuts.gif[/img]

I used to work for a company that trained law firms (secs and lawyers alike) in the finer points of Word. I posted a review of a book I helped write in the Books Forum I would definitely suggest it for any law firm as it tells you everything you need to know "in a law office setting" to make your and your secretaries life easier.

Hope this helps [img]/w3timages/icons/kiss.gif[/img]
    have fun

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

I had a client and her boss who thought the same thing of Word being a glorified typewriter. She somehow convinced her boss to spring for some training. I gave her about 10 hrs of training, including page set up (with lots of the things Charles says) and styles. These were the things we did the first day. That afternoon she redid the employee manual. When I got in the next morning, she showed me the manual - it was great. More importantly, her boss loved it and there was no question about the value of the training.

She was a highly motivated former WP user so probably knew the capabilities in WP but not how to do it in Word. So, before the training, she was probably doing the same thing as your secretary - using Word as a typewriter. The key is being motivated. But that was easy because it saved her time and made her look great in front of her boss.

Fred

New Lounger
    Thanks

KB, I read that section breaks are better to insert in a document instead of a page break. Personally, I don't know yet.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Read John McGhie, How to Create a Template, Part 2. Chas Kenyon recommends reading this. It is very good.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi, Lonnie -- sorry for the delayed reply.

I don't condone the use of hard page breaks in documents, nor the over-use of section breaks. The purpose of the temporary page break in your set-up is to be able to access the section's footer.

Before inserting the page break, click on File / Page Setup / Layout. Mark the box in Headers and Footers for different first page. Click OK. Then insert a page break (a section break will not work for this). Click on View / Headers and Footers. As you navigate between the pages, you will see in the upper left of the footer box Section 1 First Page Footer and Section 1 Footer. In the latter, insert page from the Header/Footer toolbar which appears and format it how you wish (such as centered, right justified, etc.). Close the footer. Then (very important) delete the page break.

I do not recommend using Word's Insert / Page Numbers because it floats a text box which can cause document issues later down the road.[img]/w3timages/icons/alien.gif[/img]

[img]/w3timages/icons/nuts.gif[/img]I have not yet read the article mentioned in your second post, but will do so this weekend.
    Karen