5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Surface Pro 3 Firmware Update Failed (Win10)

After running updates on my SP3 (Win10/64) this weekend, I could tell it was doing something that it didn't usually do. After checking the update history, it shows that a firmware update failed. I've been looking on line to see if there is a way to run it again, but can't find anything.

Anyone have a suggestion?
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    It should be offered again if it is needed. Firmware update detection seems to be haphazard sometimes.

Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    MS seems to have gotten carried away with rolling things up in their updates. A search on the interweb has seen a few others reporting the same issue. It looks like there were a number of driver updates along with the actual firmware rolled up and if one of them had any problems then it could keep the rest from finishing.

It's actually tough to know what version of firmware is supposed to be current and what version is installed. There was supposed to be a Firmware Tool installed as part of this update but it doesn't seem to have. There is a set of individual downloads that I have found and I might get it and see if I can see what's what. But I really hate to screw around with driver and firmware updates - it's way to easy to mess things up.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    Firmware updates are always cumulative and having updated drivers as part of any particular update is not unusual.

I'd just hang loose as long as the machine is working OK. I hate messing around with individual update packages involving a firmware update.

Joe

Thanks
    Its a known issue:
    http://www.infoworld.com/article/302...-problems.html

Another article I read indicated Microsoft released the firmware update meant for Surface Pro 4 to Surface Pro 3 by mistake.

Jerry

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    Its a known issue:
    I had seen the reports of problems in the support forum's and am not having any of those issues - perhaps because it didn't complete. I notice that article doesn't seem to mention a case like mine where it seems to have just failed.

This is all the worse because this came upon me unbidden. I had previously deferred upgrades and used Group Policy to change updates to notify only. So when I shut down the computer the other day and it went into it's "installing updates" dance, I pretty much had a fit. I'm going to be away from the office for a couple days and I had planned on taking my SP3 to do some work.

Microsoft did a lot of things right with the Surface Pro 3 but these forced massive updates are a really bad idea because if something goes wrong (like it has), it's going to hurt sales right at a time when they are taking on Apple toe-to-toe.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware