2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Access Permissions (Access 2)

I am trying to resurrect an old MDB file that was apparently saved with access security. The file was created before 1995 and last opened in 1996 so I am assuming it is version 2. We no longer have the application code which I understand was VB.

Is there some way I can bypass the permissions lock and open the various tables in Access 2000?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Access Permissions (Access 2)

Try opening a blank db in Access 200 and then importing the objects from the older db.

I have had this work for me on some older secured dbs.
    Richard

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Unfortunately, the security on the old db is pretty good. I get the same message that I do not have the necessary permissions.

I have tried conversion, linking, importing and simply opening - nothing will let me get to the data without the necessary permissions.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

If there is a "system.mda" file hanging around somewhere, you may be able to connect to it, though you may well need Access 95 or 97 to do so. (I've never tried to use an Access 2 security file with Access 2000 - I suspect it won't work.) You might want to look at the MS white paper on security too - search either the forum or the MS knowledge base. There is a known hole in security for Access 2 that will let you get at a secured database unless the developer specifically knew about it and closed it. But it's going to be some work in any event. Good luck.
    Wendell