Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Router not issuing IP address to second PC

Hey y'all, got a problem and I'm looking for some help to get things going with 2 older Dell desktop PC's. I apologize in advance for the length of this post but it will lessen the back and forth of replies and answers.

I'm 63 and not as geeky as I used to be, but I can follow simple step by step instructions, so any help with this situation would be much appreciated.
    Here is my setup and situation.
    I have a Charter Internet cable connection feeding an Arris cable modem, model TM822A/CH.
    The modem feeds an older, but working Linksys WRT54G wireless router.

For PC 1: Win7 - In house, near modem and router. I have ethernet cable from port 1 on the Linksys wireless router feeding the onboard ethernet adapter, Broadcom NetXtreme57xxGigabit controller. Works fine, no problems.
    If I just go from the cable modem to the PC, eliminating the wireless router, I get also get online just fine.

For PC 2: XP Pro - Out in my backyard workshop.
    The Linksys wireless router feeds PC 2's wireless adapter, a Netgear RangeMax NEXT WN311B w/ external, wired antenna, on pci slot 3
    The wireless connection works fine for basic stuff, but it's marginal at the best of times for anything regarding video or streaming due to distance of 100', obstructions, using an older technology wireless router, no direct line of sight possible, etc.
    I have run a new, outdoor / direct burial type, know to be good by testing on PC 1, CAT5e ethernet cable to the workshop.

I have tried connecting to any open port on the wireless router or connecting directly from the cable modem (bypassing all wireless connections) to PC 2's onboard ethernet adapter and I can't get issued an IP address so that PC 2 can get online.
    I have unplugged and reset modem and router a gazillion times!
    I have done everything one can do with "ipconfig": releasing, renewing, flushing, etc., still no IP address for PC 2.
    DHCP is all set to Auto and I've even tried using all the tcp/ip manual setting from the working but disconnected PC 1 and still no IP address.
    Changing maximum number of DCHP users does not change anything when cabled to wireless router.

The Network Connections page shows I have an Internet connection for my wireless adapter when enabled. Works fine.
    With the wireless connection Disabled and the Local wired connection Enabled, I cannot get online no matter what. Can't get an IP address.

I think this because I don't see "Aquiring Network Address" at the icon as I do when the wireless connection is being made.
    I disable the wireless, enable the local connection and it shows as "Connected" but at the icon it never "shows" going through the process of "aquiring network address."

In Device Mgr., both adapters, individually, are shown as working properly with no conflicts.
    However, when the wireless connection AND the local connection are both enabled, the wireless connection has no internet connection.

So....
    In PC 2, does my wireless adapter card, on PCI slot 3, bus 4, device2, function 0, have to actually removed from the motherboard in order for the onboard ethernet adapter to be able to get an IP address when directly connected to the cable modem?
    I haven't done that yet, but it doesn't make sense to me if the wireless adapter is disabled in network connections.
    Seeing as how I no longer want wireless to PC 2, should I use my old 4 port wired Linksys router and direct wire both PC's and remove all wireless hardware?
    Trust me, I have tried everything I have found on various forums and nothing has allowed PC 2 to connect to the internet by ethernet cable instead of by wireless.
    Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated!
    Last edited by RPinNC; 2016-01-26 at 13:19.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,397 Times in 1,220 Posts
    Obvious questions, so apologies if they seem too obvious, no offense is meant:

1. Have you tried connecting PC 2 with a different cable?
    2. Have you tried PC 2 near the router with a different cable?

My goal is to determine the cause of the issue, by elimination:

1. eliminate the cable as a possible cause;
    2. eliminate the distance and / or the ethernet board as the possible cause.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the speedy reply!
    Moving pc2 into the house would be a major pain due to it's installation and location in the workshop.
    The new cat5e cable was tested on pc1 before running out to workshop and on the Network Connections, page PC2, is shown as "Connected @ 100 Mbps" so that tells me there is not an issue with the cable.

Distance should not be a factor as cat5e is rated for 300 meters and the run is only about 50 meters maximum.

I still feel that "something / somewhere" is not telling the wireless modem to allow an internet connection to the second ethernet cable coming out of the wireless router.
    Makes no difference which of the 4 ethernet ports the cables are plugged into.

Later today, I'm going to try doing away with the wireless router, plugging from the cable modem into a wired router with the 2 ethernet cables feeding pc1 and pc2 and see what happens.
    If there is no joy in that result, I'll try plugging the ethernet cable from pc2 directly into the cable modem, doing all of the "ipconfig stuff", release, flush and renew, etc. and see what happens.

It's very frustrating for something that seems so simple.
    Last edited by RPinNC; 2016-01-26 at 14:20.

Thanks
    Is there a 'connection LED lit on the ports on BOTH ends of the cable?
    Can you try the connection w/ a laptop?
    Have you tried to delete the adapter from DEVICE MANAGER and let it be reinstalled at next reboot.
    Newer drivers?
    What do you get when you give the nic an IP manually?

David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hey wavy,
    led's at ports are lit.
    I didn't think to try the ethernet cable direct to my laptop, good idea!
    Haven't gone so far as to uninstall adapter and reboot yet but I'm going to try it later. Have to recheck for driver update but I remember doing that several days ago with no joy.
    I've tried giving the nic an IP manually and no joy there either.
    However...
    OK, I have tried a few things to get internet access to PC 2:
    Replaced wireless router with a known good, 4 port wired router, so cable modem is wired to Linksys router.
    *Ethernet cable 1, from router port 1 to PC 1 onboard ethernet connection = cable connection with good internet connection. Just like with the wireless router, I can get online, no problem.

*Ethernet cable 2, from router port either 2,3 or 4 to PC 2 onboard ethernet connection = "aquiring network address, then "connected @ 100 Mbps " but there is still no internet connection.
    *Did all the "ipconfig /release and renew stuff" = connection with IP address to router, subnet and default gateway.
    Another "ipconfig /all" shows: PC name, a connection to Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx Gigabit controller, physical address, Dhcp and autoconfigure as "Yes," IP address of router, subnet mask, etc.
    Default Gateway and DHCP Sever are the same w/ 192.168.1.1 - same as with the wireless router, no changes there.
    DNS Servers are the same as they were with the wireless router, no changes there.
    Selected "Properties" of cabled connection, selected "Repair" and popup dialog box says "Cannot renew IP address."
    Redid the "ipconfig /renew" at cmd line and now I get "An error occured while renewing interface Charter Internet Ethernet cable direct : Unable to contact your DHCP server. Request timed out."
    Rebooted PC - no difference.
    ARRRGGGHHHH!!!

Gonna try the nic uninstall next w/ driver update and see what happens...
    Gotta be a prob with the onboard nic which is the exact same model as in PC 1.
    Gonna try going straight out of the cable modem to PC1's nic and see what happens...
    Stay tuned

Wish I had an extra nic to plop into the pci slot inplace of the wireless nic that works fine.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    To see if the PC 1's adapters are recognised, open a command prompt and enter -

netsh interface ipv4 show interfaces

It should list the Pseudo Loop, Wireless if fitted and LAN.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    OK, there is JOY in the tarheel state!!!
    I tried connecting the ethernet cable to my laptop and was able to get online! Proves that there was nothing wrong with the cable.
    THANKS wavy!)

My cable modem is now feeding the wired router which feeds both PC1 and PC 2 by ethernet cable.
    Then I checked the driver version of PC 1's nic (v.10.100.4.0 )and compared with PC 2's nic (v.9.52.0.0 )and saw that the working pc's driver was 3 years newer.
    Downloaded the new driver to a thumb drive @ PC 1 and installed at PC 2.
    Uninstalled PC 2's Broadcom nic in Device Mgr. and rebooted.
    I now have a working, cabled ethernet connection just like the one to PC 1 in the house.

Thanks to all for the help and nudges in the right direction.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,397 Times in 1,220 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RPinNC View Post
    OK, there is JOY in the tarheel state!!!
    I tried connecting the ethernet cable to my laptop and was able to get online! Proves that there was nothing wrong with the cable.
    THANKS wavy!)

My cable modem is now feeding the wired router which feeds both PC1 and PC 2 by ethernet cable.
    Then I checked the driver version of PC 1's nic (v.10.100.4.0 )and compared with PC 2's nic (v.9.52.0.0 )and saw that the working pc's driver was 3 years newer.
    Downloaded the new driver to a thumb drive @ PC 1 and installed at PC 2.
    Uninstalled PC 2's Broadcom nic in Device Mgr. and rebooted.
    I now have a working, cabled ethernet connection just like the one to PC 1 in the house.

Thanks to all for the help and nudges in the right direction.
    Elimination is a good process to find out what is wrong .
    Rui
    -------
    R4

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The thing that bothers me is that nothing I did, before installing the updated driver for the onboard NIC, changed anything.
    This was AFTER using the Driver Update feature for the NIC in Device Mgr., including an online search, it told me I had the latest driver for it, so I never went further in that direction.
    Yet, when I went online and searched for an updated driver, I found one, installed it and that allowed PC 2 to aquire an IP address and all was good.
    I'm sure that if the Device Mgr. driver update process had worked when I started all this, it would have saved a lot of time and lessened the frustration regarding "What am I doing wrong?"

Anyway, all is well, so thanks for the help everybody!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    The device manager update process uses drivers from Windows Update if you let it search. Those are often older drivers which would not have done you any good. When you have a driver problem it is almost always better to go to the source (OEM for the peripheral) for an updated driver.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Glad you got things working. Just a little info. Some of these routers supplied by cable companies i.e. Comcast, have battery backups built in. These routers sometimes lock onto a config based on the MAC address. If you change a computer, you have to remove the battery for a short time to reset the router. A simple reboot won't do it because the battery retains the configuration. I have run across this with Comcast, which uses Arris routers. Just for your information.

Thanks
    Also for future reference:

1. You have a buried cable. Is it in conduit? If not, is it possible that something has been chewing on it under the ground? I recommend that you use conduit for buried cables.

2. I don't believe anyone suggested this: Do a reset on the router, then delete and reestablish the wireless connection profile on each wirelessly-connected device.

Anyway, glad you got it resolved.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    The device manager update process uses drivers from Windows Update if you let it search. Those are often older drivers which would not have done you any good. When you have a driver problem it is almost always better to go to the source (OEM for the peripheral) for an updated driver.

Joe
    Could you explain/elaborate on that please Joe?

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Windows searches the Microsoft site for latest drivers. The component manufacturer may have drivers that are newer than the MS ones so you should visit the manufacturer's site first.

cheers, Paul

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    Windows searches the Microsoft site for latest drivers. The component manufacturer may have drivers that are newer than the MS ones so you should visit the manufacturer's site first.

cheers, Paul
    Thanks for the clarification.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast