New Lounger
    Thanks

Reinstall Windows 7 in an ASUS U46E Laptop

First time poster: In addition to a Thinkpad, I own an ASUS U46E laptop. The hard drive died a few years ago, and in the spirit of adventure, I replaced its drive with a wiped legacy drive from another laptop. On it I installed Linux Mint 17 as an operating system. Works fine. The experience was useful and educational, but I would prefer to have Windows 7 back. The license sticker is for Windows Home, but Windows 7 Pro would be preferable. How do I proceed? Many thanks.

Thanks
    (Mods - Please move thread to Windows 7 forum, thanks.)

Easiest way? Source the original recovery media, but note that the Product Key on the COA sticker can only be used to activate the right version (including 'bitness' version, i.e. 32-bit or 64-bit, not both).

Also note, you cannot use the Product Key for a Home version to authenticate a Pro version. (I can't think of a reason a Home user would want or need a Pro version unless it was for BitLocker.)

Once you get the original recovery media then a fresh installation of Windows 7 - whatever version - should authenticate automatically on first connection to the internet. I must admit I have only one experience of an Asus laptop but - for all other major brands - I have only ever had to use phone activation three times and have never had to phone and speak to a Microsoft support person.

Hope this helps...

Thanks
    Thread moved
    C

1st you'll need a Windows 7 install disc that is legal, that means you cannot use an OEM disk unless it was from the laptop in question.

If you do not have a Windows 7 pro disk and the above does not qualify I recommend you purchase one.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.