5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Reverting Win10 Pro back to Win7 HP causes a blank screen when booting back up

Compaq Presario CQ69 notebook PC F 32 Windows 7 HP 32-bit upgraded to Windows 10 Pro 32-bit 1/5/16
    How my friend was able to upgrade his Windows 7 HP to Windows 10 Pro I do not know.
    He doesn’t recall how he did that either.
    The owner is constantly being reminded to activate the Windows 10 Pro.

He just called me and said he tried to revert back to his previous OS using the first option in
    How to Go Back to the Previous Windows from Windows 10
    http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4...s-windows.html
    but when he booted back up, the screen is black and stays black.

I want to help him get his computer back to his Windows 7 HP or at least back to Windows 10 Pro.
    What are our choices?

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Try starting in safe mode to see if the video works. If so, try deleting the video driver and re-boot to let Windows re-install it.

cheers, Paul

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

cmptrgy (2016-01-27)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Unfortunately the screen is still black even when trying to boot into Safe Mode.
    I found out the original OS is Vista Home and was upgraded to Windows 7 Home
    --- I'm not a fan of upgrading a Vista foundation system of upgrading to Windows 10 even though it's been upgraded to Windows 7
    --- Is there a decent article available on the issues regarding upgrading a Vista based system?
    --- I'd like to show it to my friend as he doesn't understand why it should matter.
    I used a Windows 7 repair disc to scout around for solutions but didn't help
    I checked out the BIOS and everything looked normal
    I have a Windows 7 HP SP1 install disc; I'll just try that as the computer booted with it and it looks like it'll be good to go.
    Once completed, I'll create a system image backup as I'm pretty sure my friend will attempt to upgrade to Windows 10 again

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Computer reminder: Compaq Presario Vista Home 32-bit CQ60-220US notebook upgraded to Win7 HP
    --- Originally I had mistakenly reported it as a CQ69
    The owner upgraded the computer to Windows 10 Pro and was constantly being reminded to activate it.
    --- He didn’t know it would cost to do that so he tried to revert back to Windows 7 and ran into a black screen problem

I wasn’t able to fix the black screen problem so I did a fresh Windows 7 HP install with a disc that I had from TigerDirect and the computer has been running excellently.
    Now it’s time to create a system image backup: I like to use Macrium reflect but if my friend prefers to use the Windows 7 built in system image backup that’s ok with me.

However now I need advice on the following
    The external hard drive he has is a Toshiba Canvio Desk 3.0 3 TB
    PN HDWC130XK3J1 SN 15R9WA8GSU17.

I have read “Up against the 2TB drive-size ceiling By Fred Langa on March 21, 2013 in LangaList Plus"
    Since this computer has traditional BIOS and 32-bit Windows installed, it seems I have one of 2 choices:
    1. Split the hard drive into 2 partitions (In my mind a 2TB and a 1TB)
    --- How do I do that?
    2. Use Seagate’s DiscWizard) to handle the necessary addressing conversions so that the system can work with larger than 2 TB
    --- To me that means I would not have to split the 3TB but be able to use the full 3TB as a single partition.

Also I cannot find the manual for it on the Toshiba website.
    --- I’d like to get the actual manual
    --- I believe that Toshiba should have their method to split the hard drive and/or have the ability for the full 3TB as a single partition even though the computer has a traditional BIOS and 32-bit Windows installed.

So then I can compare the different methods and move on

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cmptrgy
    The external hard drive he has is a Toshiba Canvio Desk 3.0 3 TB
    Also I cannot find the manual for it on the Toshiba website.
    --- I’d like to get the actual manual
    The full User's Manual should be stored on the hard disk itself.
    _toshiba _canvio.png

Do you have, for example, a laptop with a GPT-formatted HD that you can temporarily connect your friend's Toshiba Canvio to, in order to view or at least copy the manual?