5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

migrating TO W7 SP1

I need your help, please. For reasons I won't bore you with my daughter needs to migrate her PC from Windows Vista to Windows 7 SP1 (rather than 8, 8.1, or 10).

Would someone be so kind as to lay out the steps necessary for me to do the migration for her?

She's a college Professor, and uses many specialized programs in her work. Will these have to be reinstalled?

Also, are there any special things to look out for in migrating her Outlook email account?

Thank you for helping me to help her,
    Dick

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    I recently migrated a laptop from XP, through Vista and into 7 SP1. There is really nothing to it. If you have DVD for 7 SP1, it will spare you the need to install SP1, after upgrading to 7.
    The migration should be a simple matter. Create an image before starting it, insert the DVD and click install. Be sure to choose an upgrade, when you're offered the option and that will be it.

The migration path I chose was meant to preserve all installed programs, without the need to reinstall them. That went perfectly. Not knowing the programs she runs, I can't assure all her programs will work, but I would risk that all should work, unless she has some very old apps, meant for XP or before.

Outlook should require no migration, at all. I think the laptop I migrated was running Office 2003 and it kept running it after the migration. No issues to report.
    Rui
    -------
    R4

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

Dick-Y (2016-01-27)

Thanks
    Also..

Ensure that you/she has executables for ALL programs she is reliant upon in the event they are not migrated (for whatever reason)
    Ensure that she has copies of those "specialized" programs, and that all data generated from those programs are backed up to another drive, NOT simply imaged, but hard copied.
    All email and account information should be exported to a thumb drive, that includes storage folders, regardless of weather they migrate or not.
    Encourage her to have a secondary internal drive for storage and image backups, and an external drive as well.
    Encourage and show her how to perform drive imaging with a 3rd party application if she is not already doing so.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to CLiNT For This Useful Post:

Dick-Y (2016-01-27)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dick-Y View Post
    .... needs to migrate her PC from Windows Vista to Windows 7 SP1.... lay out the steps necessary for me to do the migration .... uses many specialized programs in her work. Will these have to be reinstalled? ....
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/down...ils.aspx?id=20

If it is 32-bit Vista then migrating as an non-destructive upgrade install requires 32-Win7. Which would be a letdown IMHO. 64bit Vista to 64bit Win7 works too.

Going from 32-bit Vista to 64-bit Win7 requires a clean install of Win7.

Back up the boot drive before doing anything.

Specialized programs likely will not have an issue unless they are proprietary written not for commercial distribution, or old apps that monitor/take measurements on old instruments. These tend to not be updated after a certain point. These can be 16-bit apps which won't work on 64-bit Win7, but a virtual OS can be used to run them though there can be issues with ports used to monitor data. If it is a 32-bit app that refuses to run you can also try a virtual OS.
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...#1TC=windows-7

Lastly you can get registry settings and program user profiles as well as data files transferred using MS' Windows Easy Transfer Wizard for Win7. (not Vista)

Things you may want to do:
    • Get any product keys written down.
    • Take a survey of installed software present using WinAudit and Belarc Advisor, and remove any apps that are old and not used before the upgrade, or that will need to be reinstalled afterwards.
    • Uninstall any apps that have copy protection issues to preserve ability to transfer license.

Download and burn a copy of Win7 updates via WSUSOffline so you won't have hours of post SP1-updates via online. Notice this can include Office Updates if she uses that too.
    http://download.wsusoffline.net/

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Fascist Nation For This Useful Post:

Dick-Y (2016-01-28)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Going from Vista to Win 7 shouldn't present any problems but running the Win 7 Upgrade Advisor will tell you if there will be any and if the machine is compatible.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/down...ils.aspx?id=20

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Sudo15 For This Useful Post:

Dick-Y (2016-01-28)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Fascist Nation:
    A follow-on question to your suggestion about using WSUSOffline:
    (Sorry this is probably a very basic question, but I am a non-technical person):
    Once that program is run, and the ISO file is created, how do you add/merge the updates on that ISO file into the newly installed W7 SP1 op system?
    Thank you,
    Dick

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It is an ISO then it is bootable meaning you have to boot from the optical disk (ODD) or flash drive then load the app and it will install any released updates (in your case since it is already SP1 after the service pack) not present and replace any out of date ones with the newest version.

http://www.wsusoffline.net/docs/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXAOvbNJYyE - 3 years old but good ... shows how to install as an uninstalled app rather than a bootable ISO which seems simpler to me. while I agree with downloading everything if you are a computer repair guy I disagree with installing everything (which you can select before you do) on a client who may not want Security Essentials or Windows Essentials unless the client wants them.

For a bootable ODD I use Imgburn (but Windows 7 can ostensibly do it as well) and for a bootable flash drive I use Rufus but there are several good apps that will do it.

It still takes a long time to download all of that stuff from MS' servers (or maybe its own), but that saves you 4 hours of download cycles onsite. Flash is much faster BTW both download (maybe not so much if you have an SSD) and onsite install.

It may not get the last couple of weeks releases, and it does not have the optional (which will be vast and poorly documented unless you search each one on the web) beyond the ones you install using the check boxes. So you will want to lastly plug in the Ethernet connection and finally do the Windows Update which should be fast unless you want to do the optionals. Usually I don't much care for the currency symbol of Urdwanistan and the time zone adjustment to Botswapmeland. But some of them maybe of use.
    Last edited by Fascist Nation; 2016-01-31 at 16:57. Reason: ISO discussion

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Fascist Nation For This Useful Post:

Dick-Y (2016-01-31)

Thanks
    Dick:

Here's what I would suggest:
    * Do a complete backup of her hard drive.
    * Install a new hard drive. (I would go with a 2 TB drive.)
    * Do a restore of the backup to the new hard drive.
    * Now do an upgrade to Windows 7.

Doing it this way will yield several benefits:
    * Good backup that you know will work if you need it. When you boot with the new hard drive (after restoring to it), you will have a good backup, because the backup is the old hard drive. You can then proceed without fear, knowing that you can easily get back to where you started simply by reinstalling the old hard drive.
    * More reliable and bigger hard drive. Since it is a Vista computer, the hard drive is old and likely small. It will fail sooner or later, probably sooner. By installing a new hard drive and then proceeding with it, you will know that she has a hard drive which will be good for many more years. Also, it will likely be a lot bigger than the one she currently has.

I suggest a 2 TB drive. If you go bigger than that, there will be some configuration necessary to make it work. I wouldn't go smaller than 2 TB, because you want as much hard drive space as possible.

Good luck.

Jim

14. The Following User Says Thank You to mrjimphelps For This Useful Post:

Dick-Y (2016-02-01)