2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Sorting and Page breaking (Excel 97/SR2)

I am being provided a list of employees in an excel format. This list contains multiple columns of employee related data including supervisor name.

I am having trouble figuring out a way to break the list so that it would print each supervisors employees as a group on one page.

I have sorted the entire list by supervisor name, but am looking for a way to automatically add page breaks whenever the supervisor name changes. What would be the best way to go about this?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Sorting and Page breaking (Excel 97/SR2)

You could use the subtotal feature (Data, Subtotals).

This gives you the opertunity to break a sorted list where a chosen column (supervisor in your case) changes value. You could do a subtotal To Count the supervisor field. The subtotal feature does give you the facility to place a page break for each group.

Andrew C

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Sorting and Page breaking (Excel 97/SR2)

Steve:
    If you haven't done so already, move the field (column) containing the supvrs to Col. A. If necessary, sort again. As you probably know, you may sort on (i) Supervisor, then (ii) some other field, then (iii) some other field. I usually sort by supvr, then lastname, then firstname.
    Key point: Make sure that your file is laid out (set up) as a data list, with the simple elements of a database as defined in the Excel 97 help window. Otherwise, the following steps probably won't work.
    With the cursor somewhere inside the list, click Data | Subtotals. You will then see the 'Subtotal' dialog box. In addition to whatever other things you might wish to check, check the box 'Page break between groups'.
    That's it.
    Let me know how it comes out, OK?