Thanks

Macrium says success but nothing is there

I use Macrium Reflect Free to back up my Laptop running Win 10 to a external hard drive and I have no problems and I also have backed up a friends laptop and I know they are good because I have tested them with a restore. But I backed up my work laptop and at the end it says "Backup and verification successful in 90 minutes" (something like that) but when I check it there is nothing there except the other backups for mine and my friends laptop.I have tried 3 times and every time it says "success" but every time there is nothing there. The boss has asked me to do it because he knows nothing about them and it is more a personal computer then a business one but I wonder if there is a privacy thing going on here stopping the backup. His computer repair guy has a backup but that will be out of date and he is hard to get hold of so he isn't much good to us now. Thanks in advance for any help.
    Thanks Pete.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Are you sure you're looking in the correct location for the backup?
    Look on the Macrium log tab and it will tell you what and where.

cheers, Paul

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

KIWIpeteW (2016-01-28)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    Are you sure you're looking in the correct location for the backup?
    Look on the Macrium log tab and it will tell you what and where.

cheers, Paul
    That is the first time I have looked in the log tab. There are no logs matching the 3 times in question so I'm none the wiser but thanks for pointing out the Log tab.The 3 screenshots are showing that the backups are simply not there. This is a new SeaGate drive I bought so it has little on it.

mac1.pngmac2.pngmac3.png

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    If there are no logs it didn't happen.
    Try another backup and go straight to the logs to see what gives.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    If there are no logs it didn't happen.
    Try another backup and go straight to the logs to see what gives.

cheers, Paul
    Sorry but I made a mistake because when I said I looked at the Macrium Logs Tab it was on my laptop. After posting the screen shots I realized this so at work today I checked the Macrium Logs Tab on the laptop in question and sure enough the 3 backups are there and they say they are successful but they are no where to be seen on the computer or the External HD. When I do the backups it says they are going to the seagate HD just like all the backups I do so I just don't know what I am doing wrong.
    I try to Browse for the image after hitting restore in the Macrium app but I can't find them. I don't know how else to explain this problem. Maybe a similar thing has happened to someone else but at the moment it looks like I can't back the laptop up.
    Thanks Pete

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    The log will contain the path to the backup file. What does it show?

cheers, Paul

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

KIWIpeteW (2016-01-29)

Thanks
    The log will contain the path to the backup file. What does it show?

cheers, Paul
    OK I will have a read of it when I'm back at work on Tuesday. There was so much information in the logs that I never knew what to look for and I never had much time today.If it tells me the destination is SeaGate Ill be confused so I'm hoping It has put them on the computer somewhere so that way I know I'm doing something wrong.

Thanks

Stil no wiser to problem

I checked the Macrium logs on my bosses laptop to see where the backups are going but they dont say the same as the logs on my laptop.My logs give me a path saying where the backup has gone. For some reason his laptop wont take screen shots so I am unable to post the logs but I will try to work that one out. What my question today though is on his C drive I found Macrium files but they are not back ups but just a ton of words which means nothing to me. There are so many words that I can scroll down quite a long way to the end. Does that make any sense. I am going to try again in the morning with a different HD to see if the backup will be a success.
    Thanks Pete.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Maybe the bosses laptop is not well and needs fixing - bosses often have no idea.
    Try running "sfc /scannow" after a malware scan.

cheers, Paul

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

KIWIpeteW (2016-02-04)

Thanks
    Maybe the bosses laptop is not well and needs fixing - bosses often have no idea.
    Try running "sfc /scannow" after a malware scan.

cheers, Paul
    I already tried a" sfc / scannow" but not after a malware scan. Will try that. He is in hospital next week and will get time alone so will be better. Its only me that works there. Thanks.
    Cheers Pete.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The backup images, if they exist, will have a file extension of .mrimg, so search the computer, including all attached disks and subfolders, looking for *.mrimg. If a backup took 90 minutes to do a backup and verify, it must have been doing something, and there must have been a backup file to verify.

Step through the backup screens in Macrium:

1 From the initial scree, select "Image selected disks on this computer".

2. On the "Disk image" screen, select a disk to back up, if none is already selected. Click Next.

3. The next screen is for scheduling, and is unimportant. Click Next.

4. The next screen shows where Macrium intends to put the backup file. Halfway down the screen you will see a heading "Destination", and below that, "File Name". Next to "File Name" it will show the full path and file name of the backup file, in the format "D:\Filename.mrimg", where D is the disk letter, followed by the actual file name and the .mrimg extension. The points to note here are the disk letter and the file name, because that is where it intends to put the backup. The file name can be anything.mrimg, but the drive letter must be valid. If given a drive letter which does not exist, there will be an error.

5. Now click on Cancel, if you don't actually want to run a backup.

So the drive indicated by "D:\..." is the place to look for the missing .mrimg files.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Bundaburra For This Useful Post:

KIWIpeteW (2016-02-05)

Thanks

Missing backups appear

The 3 missing backups have turned up,for some reason they were not there as the first screen shot shows.
    The second screenshot shows the same drive in the same account and suddenly they are there.
    The next screenshot is taken in my wife's admin account and they are not there.
    The last screenshot shows the 3 backups which are for some reason grouped together in the same folder. Don't know why but at least they turned up. BUT what good are they if when I plug the drive into the laptop they came from they do not show.
    I can bring the laptop home tomorrow night so will try another HD to see if that works. I have been finding it hard to find time to work with the laptop in work hours. Cheers Pete. mac2.pngmac6.pngMac7.pngmac8.png

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I reckon you have a permission issue. When you can see the folder, right click on it, select Properties > Security. Add "everyone" and grant full control, apply to files and sub folders.

cheers, Paul

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul T For This Useful Post:

KIWIpeteW (2016-02-10)

Thanks
    I reckon you have a permission issue. When you can see the folder, right click on it, select Properties > Security. Add "everyone" and grant full control, apply to files and sub folders.

cheers, Paul
    Thanks Paul,but the security is already set just as you say. Thought we had it nailed then, I'm going to leave it and be happy with using the other smaller external HD. I got his screen shot working by adding Dropbox to his laptop BTW.