5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Using SD Card as Semi-Permanent Storage

In an parallel thread, I was asking about the best format for a SD card that is intended for use as semi-permanent storage. In this case, it's being used in the micro-SD slot in a Surface Pro 3. My original intent was mainly to store some word documents and stuff that didn't need to take up space on the main drive.

Modern SDXC cards are quite fast (not as fast as the SSD) and have extremely high write cycles. This has me wondering how they would do as a location for files that could potentially be accessed frequently throughout the day. I know people are using them this way and while I have not heard about any particular issues, it's something to think about.

Anyone have any experience doing this?
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Thanks
    No experience with it, but an NTFS format would offer better security and compatibility than FAT for any of the files stored there.

Just as long as what is stored there are just files with no hooks into the OS should be fine.
    You could index the drive if need, but I would not allow system restore, or any other service get it's hooks on the drive.

Can you boot to the SD drive?
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Btrfs

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CLiNT View Post
    No experience with it, but an NTFS format would offer better security and compatibility than FAT for any of the files stored there.
    exFAT not FAT32 - the two are quite different. And there's conflicting information about whether NTFS offers any advantage and some claims that it's journaling just adds needless read/writes to the card.

But I'm mainly wondering if using it for files that are frequently accessed will "wear it out".
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    I would not trust the SD card to be the sole repository for the files. I'd also have them on cloud storage or a USB HD/SSD.

Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP517 View Post
    I would not trust the SD card to be the sole repository for the files. I'd also have them on cloud storage or a USB HD/SSD.
    There's nothing on any computer that isn't at least one other place. Everything on the SD card is routinely dumped to my NAS or the cloud.

It's mainly a convenient place to put stuff I don't want cluttering up the main drive.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware

Thanks
    But I'm mainly wondering if using it for files that are frequently accessed will "wear it out".
    Older SD cards maybe, but I'm not so sure about the latest generation, who knows, you may wear out before it does.
    At any rate, if you have a solid backup regimen in place it doesn't really matter that much.

A good backup regimen is what's important and it shows that you are ahead of the heard.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.