Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Computer doesn't see printer

I have a Dell 32bit Win 7 Pro that I am trying to "install" a new printer on...without success.

Bought a new Brother printer to replace an old printer that worked with the computer.

Went thru the normal driver install after downloading the latest driver package from Brother, but when it gets to the window that says: Plug in USB and start the printer, it won't allow me to proceed from that point.

I do here the tone from the computer when you hook up an external piece of equipment but the computer is not "seeing" the printer.

It is not a printer issue as I plugged it into another computer and it took right off and the plug and play auto installed the drivers and I was successful at printing.

Went back to first computer and removed any residual stuff from the first attempt at loading the drivers using the Brother driver uninstall tool. This time I just plugged it in as I did on the second computer, heard the famous tone but no joy on installing the drivers.

I have attempted to install the driver set several times. No joy.

I was able to manually install the printer using the "add hardware" method but since I can't install the drivers it won't function as a printer.

I did a Checkdisk...no go on that as well.

I think it is a Plug and Play issue but don't know how to resolve.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Does it show in Devices and Printers to right click on and select Troubleshoot and is it showing as the default printer ?

Are you using the same AV program on all machines ?

Trying the install in Safe Mode with Networking may be a workaround.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    A problem I ran into was with the computer not recognizing a printer plugged into the USB 3 [blue] port. Plugged into a USB 2 port [black] and worked fine. After install I tried the printer back in the USB 3 port and got half a page before getting a "lost communication" error, so back to the USB 2 port.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Pheasant,

Have you tried calling Brother Support? I've had great success with them. They are always polite and have always solved my problems.

HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

5. The Following User Says Thank You to RetiredGeek For This Useful Post:

Fascist Nation (2016-01-28)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Berton, I have tried different ports but thanks,

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Sudo15, I will try this in the morning. Thanks,

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Retired, Yes I was on with them for 2 hours and that is how we eliminated that it is a printer issue. She mentioned it could be a registry issue but did not go into detail.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pheasant View Post
    ...that is how we eliminated that it is a printer issue. ...
    uhhhhh, Okay.

Thanks
    Probably a silly question, but are you sure you downloaded the correct driver? Either way, have you tried the driver that came with the printer. Make sure that every trace of your previous attempt has been uninstalled and also removed from the Registry and that any previous printer software has been uininstalled before starting the procedure. You can always use the built in driver update facility after the supplied driver has been installed.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    There is a tool called Print Management in Administrative tools. Have a look in there and see if there are any Brother printers or drivers. Remove them, then re-run the Brother setup and see if it works after that.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Sudo15 wrote w/answers: "Does it show in Devices and Printers to right click on and select Troubleshoot and is it showing as the default printer ? Not under Printers and Faxes but listed under Unspecified. I think it is there because I manually created it under Add Hardware. I have tried to trouble shoot it to no avail.

Are you using the same AV program on all machines ? Yes. I have tried turning Avast and Malwarebytes off. No joy.

Trying the install in Safe Mode with Networking may be a workaround. I tried this but got stopped. It said it needed the Print Spooler to start. I don't know how to do this manually

Calimanco wrote w/answers: "Probably a silly question, but are you sure you downloaded the correct driver? Either way, have you tried the driver that came with the printer. Make sure that every trace of your previous attempt has been uninstalled and also removed from the Registry and that any previous printer software has been uininstalled before starting the procedure. You can always use the built in driver update facility after the supplied driver has been installed. I did initially try the CD that came with it. Same problem. As far as I could tell I did remove all traces of the old install attempts.

gsmith wrote w/answers:"There is a tool called Print Management in Administrative tools. Have a look in there and see if there are any Brother printers or drivers. Remove them, then re-run the Brother setup and see if it works after that." Nothing in there.

Thanks everyone for your help so far...

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    My suggestion for trying the install in Safe Mode etc. was because you said you were unable to install the drivers - but as it works in an USB 2 port then you have a different problem, although it seems to be a common problem going by the number of Google links.

Just minimal services are loaded in Safe Mode and to print or have the Spooler start in Safe Mode you would have to make these registry modifications.

https://tinyapps.org/blog/windows/20...t_install.html

When you plug into the USB 3.0 port go into Device Manager and check for any yellow alerts - not sure if Event Viewer would record a problem as it may be as if nothing has occurred if it isn't being recognised.

Don't suppose the printer has wireless capability which would solve a lot of problems.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Sudo15, I will try your tweaks...The printer does have wireless capabilities but the computer does not. That computer is hardwired to a wireless router (sonicwall). So are you saying I can send a print job to my router then the router will send it to the wireless printer?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    All, While I haven't resolved the original issue, I did set it up as a network printer and it is working fine. Thanks to Sudo15 for that idea and the rest that gave me some other ideas. Take care

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    A result then if not the one you were looking for

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast