Thanks

When 'Free' Windows 10 Becomes Expensive, You Should Fear This

Interesting article about why "Forbes", Gordon Kelly, thinks that MS is going to a "Software as a Service" model with win 10. I hadn't realized that the OS lifecycle page list's Win 10 support ending in 2025 ( just 2 years after win 8 ).
    Obviously it's an assumption on his part since MS wouldn't comment to any of his questions about it so far, but I can certainly see why he would make that assumption.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonke.../#774b5463538d

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I can't read the article since Forbes won't allow a browser with an ad-blocker, but I've been contending for quite some time that MS want's to move everything to subscription based software-as-service.

Microsoft has been talking about SaaS for years now and probably would have used Win8 as the basis for it if they hadn't had so many problems. They have already all but eliminated the old desktop Office products and the only thing really missing from making Win10 a SaaS product is the yearly subscription fee. I would be surprised if that doesn't start within the next 3 years.
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Thanks
    When it comes to hardware and software the pace of change is "fast and furious". In 2025 we'll likely see
    the "best-laid plans of mice and men" completely redrawn, and no tech writer in existence today is gonna corner it.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to CLiNT For This Useful Post:

Fascist Nation (2016-01-28)

Thanks
    I can't read the article since Forbes won't allow a browser with an ad-blocker
    Yeah, I turned mine off temporarily to see the article on my computer. I read the article first on Google Play which was allowed.

When it comes to hardware and software the pace of change is "fast and furious". In 2025 we'll likely see
    the "best-laid plans of mice and men" completely redrawn, and no tech writer in existence today is gonna corner it.
    I have to agree Clint but the deductions that he makes are certainly plausible with MS's actions. BUT, we won't know for sure until it happens.

Thanks
    Try NoScript for a more granular control.

Some MS spokesperson has already spoken of WX as a SaaS OS, maybe deleted by now as they are trying to enter stealth mode.
    David

Just because you don't know where you are going doesn't mean any road will get you there.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gsmith-plm
    I can't read the article since Forbes won't allow a browser with an ad-blocker...
    Graham, I'm currently using uBlock (temporarily, as a test following recommendations in this forum; my usual adblocker is AdBlock Plus) within Firefox and I can view the article without any problems. I guess it's down to your combination of browser/blocker... or Forbes cuts us Brits some slack (which I seriously doubt. ).

Hope this helps...

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Well articulated piece I thought.

Uncertainty is always fearful - I'm staying with Windows 7 for now. I'm not worried about lack of "support" for a mature and well-protected OS. I suppose I am just a little concerned what happens if I need new hardware - it will be interesting to see how long hardware which supports W7 can be bought. When will the hard-pressed PC industry turn its back on multi-millions of W7 users ?

By the way, no probs reading the article here in the Czech Republic - Chrome with AdBlock Plus.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Yes, the offer of a free upgrade will cease after July 29th but in the real world the very vast majority of Windows users receive a new version of the OS when the get a new PC. Everyone is trying to make it a huge deal that upgraders will have to pay but they will have had a year to upgrade. IMO, too bad so sad.

Rather than jump to the conclusion that the 2025 end of support means Windows will transition to a paid service why not conclude that by then the version of Windows will be 10.575 (or some other arbitrary number) and its end of support will be 10 years from when it was released? Since Microsoft is not saying that is just as feasible. This is all just an endless stream of clickbait articles and a huge waste of time without information from Microsoft.

Joe

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    Maybe all the 'no new Windows OS after 10' hype just means the next Microsoft OS release won't be called Windows...
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Thanks
    A bit of Private Frazer going on here, to which I'll reply with a bit of Corporal Jones while going round in circles.

Anyway, by 2025 will there be desktops or laptops, or any sort of OS at all? Perhaps we'll be magically connected to the hypercloud and just have to think a question to have it answered.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Click bait and more click bait and yet more click bait. I stopped reading any such articles long ago. It's pure guessing. I frankly don't think it even merits discussion...
    Rui
    -------
    R4

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    That's 10 years from now. Not going to fret it. lolol

By then, A Day in the life of Glass would be reality.

Last edited by lylejk; 2016-01-30 at 00:54.