Thanks

Phantom Computer on Windows 7 Network

I formerly had a computer named HUB on my Windows 7 network. It was long ago removed from the network, and in fact it was scrapped.

It keeps showing up, though intermittently, in File Explorer. It comes up as one of the four (now three) computers shown in the Network section on the left panel. When I expand its listing there, I'm shown a My Documents folder that unexplainably seems to show some of the documents that were formerly on HUB. I can even open them. (Most or all of them were moved to another computer when I got rid of HUB.)

When I right click on HUB under Network in File Explorer, there is no option to Delete it.

What's going on here?
    Last edited by Lou Sander; 2016-01-28 at 20:16. Reason: Fix typos
    Lou Sander
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    USA

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    There's a section in the registry that keeps track of computers it "expects" to find and they will show up.

When it show up, does it have a green connected icon or a red X through it?
    Does it have a drive letter?
    Do you have the option to Disconnect it?
    Graham Smith
    DataSmith, Delaware
    "For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert.", Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Thanks
    Unfortunately, it is not cooperating right now -- the phantom computer doesn't appear in the list. I'll post something to this thread if and when it shows up again.

I am not hallucinating here; the behavior described above really did happen, and I spent some time playing with it.

I have a vague recollection of something green appearing on the phantom computer's icon when it was visible, but I can't say if it was a "green connected icon" or not. There was definitely no red X, and I don't remember a drive letter. I can't say anything about an option to Disconnect.
    Lou Sander
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    USA