Thanks

CCleaner question

CCleaner is putting up a popup which says I can save 127Gb of disk space. What I can't understand is - where? I have three disks, an internal SSD (using 81.1Gb out of 223GB), a spinner (115Gb out of 1.81TB) and an external USB (.97Gb out of 2.72Gb). This last would appear to be the culprit but I can't see where I can tell CCleaner not to use the last one. Before yesterday (when I first noticed the amount) it was saying it could save about 3-6Gb.

Where's it finding all this waste data?

Thanks
    Try Options>exclude for the external drive.
    I have never gotten a popup from CCleaner about anything.

Thanks
    If you click on the Analyse button, CCleaner will display all the files it thinks should be cleaned without cleaning them. Right click on an entry and choose "View detailed results" from the drop down list to see what's included in the summary. You also have the option to clean each individual summary, using another entry in the same drop down list, without cleaning anything else. It still wont clean Edge items though. It just marks them as skipped.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Calimanco For This Useful Post:

access-mdb (2016-01-30)

Thanks
    Thanks Calimanco, I assumed it would automatically show the results when I opened it. It was caused by my external drive having a number of MR images in its recycle bin which I had deleted a day or so ago. I've now deleted them from the recycle bin. I see that I must hold the shift key down when I delete off the external disk!

As far as the popup is concerned, it comes after I restart, even though I have not ticked 'Run CCleaner when the computer starts'.

Thanks
    If ccleaner icon is in the Taskbar's Icon Notification area - probably it has been set to monitor and report to you, whether or not run ccleaner when computer starts is clicked.
    "Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee." Ben Franklin revisited.
    http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forum...-Technologies/

Thanks
    Roland, how do I stop it running (short of uninstalling it) when I reboot? The only option I can find that seems to refer to this, is unticked. I must say I've not been particularly enamoured of CCleaner as it claims things which aren't all that significant (stuff in the recycle bin and temporary files are used in the totals when they can soon mount up again - to whatever maximum is specified. And it can delete useful files if you aren't careful enough in what you ask it to delete.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Access,

Have you unchecked all the Active Monitoring selections?
    CCleanerSettings.PNG

If so I'd get a copy of SysInternals AutoRuns and see where it is getting started from.

HTH
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

9. The Following User Says Thank You to RetiredGeek For This Useful Post:

Fascist Nation (2016-02-04)

Thanks
    Thanks RG - mine had both boxes ticked. I will see if it restarts next time I boot (i don't normally shutdown every night as I have an automatic weather station I get data from).

And as I wrote that Winpatrol reported a change that CCleaner won't be started when the PC is booted!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Calimanco View Post
    If you click on the Analyse button, CCleaner will display all the files it thinks should be cleaned without cleaning them. Right click on an entry and choose "View detailed results" from the drop down list to see what's included in the summary. You also have the option to clean each individual summary, using another entry in the same drop down list, without cleaning anything else. It still wont clean Edge items though. It just marks them as skipped.
    There are some things which may allow CCleaner to clean Edge in Windows 10.

First, Edge is not by default included in the Applications Tab for CCleaner cleaning. You have to select it and its different cleaning areas:
    http://www.tenforums.com/software-ap...iles-edge.html

If you use the CCleaner Pro version, you also have to uncheck Browser Monitoring under monitoring options.

If CCleaner is not popping up its dialog, there is a script in the same thread to close a process which interferes with Edge cleaning.

Update CCleaner to the latest version. I have had no problems with CCleaner not cleaning Edge. It does pop up a dialog saying it needs to close Edge before cleaning it. I have to hit Yes and then the cleaning goes through in Windows 10 Pro on both of my PCs. I fresh installed CCleaner when upgrading both devices.

Edge is acting like a Universal App. It doesn't actually close completely when you hit its red X. So, until it is forced to close (via the CCleaner dialog) it can't be cleaned.

I noticed that Glary Utilities Free does not have this issue with Edge. Maybe try using both cleaners? (I do use both, and they tend to clean different things.)

BTW, CCleaner cleans on a per-user basis. Each Account on your device needs to do its own CCleaner run. Glary Utilities cleans globally, meaning it cleans all user accounts with one pass. I'm not advocating one utility over the other, just pointing out that there is this difference.

If your CCleaner is still not doing the job on Edge after updating CCleaner to the latest version, maybe try CCEnhancer:
    https://singularlabs.com/news/ccenhancer-4-3/
    Last edited by bobprimak; 2016-02-04 at 13:04.
    -- Bob Primak --

Thanks
    Apparently, in the pro version, if you turn off "Enable browser monitoring" in Options, it works. In the free version, you need a bat file to turn off dllhost.exe. Use either -

@echo off
    taskkill /f /im dllhost.exe
    start "" "C:\Program Files\CCleaner\CCleaner64.exe" /AUTO

or

@echo off
    taskkill /f /im dllhost.exe
    start "" "C:\Program Files\CCleaner\CCleaner.exe" /AUTO

depending on your OS type. Thanks to Tairiku Okami for the script.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Calimanco For This Useful Post:

Fascist Nation (2016-02-05)