Thanks

Homegroup Mystery

I have three computers in my Homegroup: BARBARA, GATEWAY, and ALLIANCEHP. Each of them has only one user.

GATEWAY runs Windows 10, while the other two run Windows 7.

The Homegroup listings on all the computers have two entries for GATEWAY: Lou Sander and Louis Sander. The two have slightly different folder listings underneath them.

I sign into GATEWAY as Lou Sander. As far as I know, the name Louis Sander has never been associated with GATEWAY, but of course I may be wrong.

I'd like to get rid of the Louis Sander user (or whatever it is) on GATEWAY, since it just creates confusion.

Who can help?
    Lou Sander
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    USA

Thanks
    Check Control Panel > User Accounts > Manage Another Account and see if Louis Sander is listed there. If it is, click on it and select "Delete the Account"

Jerry

Thanks
    The Louis Sander account is NOT there.

Since we are talking about Users, let me bring something up. When I originally put Windows 7 onto GATEWAY, the User I had was Rankin Desktop. I never liked that name very much, and always wanted to change it, but didn't know how. It is still the only named User that shows up when I look at the Users folder on C:
    Lou Sander
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    USA

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Lou Sander View Post

The Homegroup listings on all the computers have two entries for GATEWAY: Lou Sander and Louis Sander. The two have slightly different folder listings underneath them.
    You might check to see if there are any contents in the listed folders. In other words, do the two different users have data associated with them, or does one just have empty folders?

Thanks
    The folders in Lou Sander and Louis Sander both contain files. Both of them contain a file that I saved at 3:32 this morning.

Here's a screen shot of both of them as they appear on ALLIANCEHP, running Windows 7. I used Photoshop to add green dots to mark folders that appear in both of them, and red dots for folders that appear in only one.

Here's a screen shot from GATEWAY, running Windows 10. Notice that this time, the folders in both Lou Sander and Louis Sander are identical. BTW, I ran the so-called Workgroup Troubleshooter on GATEWAY. It didn't find any problems.

Last edited by Lou Sander; 2016-01-30 at 09:16. Reason: Add another screen shot
    Lou Sander
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    USA

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Beats me, but here are a few things to kick around.

Multiple USERS may have either or both of two purposes: you really do have more than one user, each with his or her own account and the personalized settings in programs running (and Administrator-imposed limitations, such as 'Parental' settings), or else you want one or more Administrator account(s), with one or more Standard accounts for greater safety for browsing and other purposes with a Standard user. There is also typically a Guest account, where Anyone can use your computer.

From the sound of it, you have a Jekyll and Hyde user. On the other hand, you may have a hijacker - Do You have Wi-Fi with an easy password?

Then there is the problem of having changed the names of machines. If you have a conventional drive and switch to an SSD, all you have to do is clone the old to the new, but for some software licencing purposes you may have to 'uninstall' the software on the old drive (which it can easily detect) and 'install' it on the new. Having done this, I have given the SSD a new machine name (in Control Panel, System and Security, System) which complicates some things and simplifies others.

Thanks
    Maybe I could just remove GATEWAY from the Homegroup, then add it back in. Whadda ya think?

All I want on GATEWAY is one user, Lou Sander, with administrator privileges. It puzzles me why he doesn't show up in the Users folder.
    Lou Sander
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    USA