Thread: IE 5.5 problems

New Lounger
    Thanks

IE 5.5 problems

Recently (because of something I did, no doubt) I cannot open some secondary/new windows in IE 5.5. Actually what happens is I get a blank window. Also, I can no longer use the Find function (I get an error message). Aside from switching to Windows 98, which I am reluctant to do, is there another way of correcting these problems?
    Thanks in advance
    Alex Jenkins
    Markham, Ontario
    Canada

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: IE 5.5 problems

Thanks, Mark, but the tool says IE cannot be repaired and I will have to run Setup again. Can you further advise a technodummy as to what to do next?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

I'd hate to tell you to actually run setup again, especially if you don't have the setup files saved locally. But if it were me, I would try to remove it entirely and then re-install version 6. The downside is that you would lose the active desktop and quick launch bar, along with other shell enhancements, if you completely remove it (the Desktop update is not available in IE 5 and higher).

It just may behoove you to try installing 6 over the top of it. It's really not much different but the cookie control is very nice.
    -Mark

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Alex, my first suggestion would be to run the Internet Explorer repair tool. You can do this two ways.

<UL><LI>Go to Add/Remove Programs and select Internet Explorer. It will not uninstall IE, but instead will present you with the option to add a component, repair, or remove.
    <LI>If the above step doesn't work, then you cn enter the following from Start -> Run: C:> rundll32 setupwbv.dll,IE5Maintenance "C:Program FilesInternet ExplorerSetupSETUP.EXE" /g "C:WINDOWSIE Uninstall Log.txt[/list]This is assuming Internet Explorer is installed on your C: drive - if it's not, change the drive letters as necessary.
    -Mark